Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Zoning ESX Servers

Hello all,

My new company currently have 45 ESX Servers and its zoned to an Hitachi Storage on the same port across all the servers.

They have 45 Individual zones for each servers.  I know its best practive for (1I to 1T)

but this quot is directly out of the VMware guide.  (ESX Server hosts that use shared storage for virtual machine failover or load
balancing must be in one zone.)

What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Valued Contributor

Re: Zoning ESX Servers

One initiator to One target.

The point is not to One zone for al ESX hosts in case of LB or Failover, but having access to the same shared storage.

How you'll accomplish that on the SAN and on your array is up to you.

Occasional Contributor

Its actually being LB across both Fabric on different Storage Port.  So redundancy is there on the Fabric / Storage Port / Controller.

My Question is more along the line of zone cleanup so thing would be neater,  instead of 45 individual zones, one zones.

Example:

Fabric A

ESX_CLUSTER_CL1_PT_A

EXS01

ESX02

ESX03

VSP_CL1_PT_A

Fabric B

ESX_CLUSTER_CL2_PT_A

EXS01

ESX02

ESX03

VSP_CL2_PT_A

Your thoughts?

Valued Contributor

My opinion is still one target one initiator.

In the end your zone will resemble a SCSI bus. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want 45 initiators on the bus. If one is acting up it will affect all other host. By keeping them separated they won't affect each other and will looks more like the traditional SCSI bus.

Contributor

We have several ESX cluster server chassis units and to prevent issues Dion is correct one target one initiator especially if you are using NPIV

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook