Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Zone Configuration And Isl Link setup...

Hi Team,

Could you please help me on this,

I have two brocade 300 San switches each to gather working as standalone. its connected to exchange server to netapp storage for this setup no problem.

And two hp blade San switches are connected to between hp blades and hp storage here also there is no problem. both as working stand alone fabric.now,

I want to make both stand alone fabric as a ISL link failure mode. from the two brocade 300 one switch as fabric-A core  and another switch as fabric-B the both Hp San switches are  connected as edge switch to fabric A & B. once completed ISL link between San switches . i am going to do the following configure steps in fabric A and B.

The physical ISL link connection ran through switch to switch verify port link. Check to the all ISL port speed same one.

At
first, if we have more as One Switch in the Fabric, we must make sure that each Switch has a Unique Domain ID.

By
Default all Switch have DID 1, in this case we must change in the Second Switch the DID2.

• ØStep for ISL configuration:-

1)Connect Trough fabric-A switch Telnet or ssh as admin.

2)Execute the command switchdisable

3)Execute the command configure -> and press Enter till appear the field with the DID.

4) Change the value from Default 1 to 2, press enter.

5) leave all other Value as Default, exit from this menu,

6)And execute now switchenable to activate the switch.

Note:- there is no down time for this activity

In this case both brocade 300 already connected to exchange server, while disabling switch in fabric-A. We could not get any interrupt operation in exchange server it’s communicating through fabric-B.  Once complete with the entire configuration in fabric –A stay with the stability time. And continue in the procedure fabric-B.

up to here for the ISl link configuration do i need any additional procedure.? if i missed please advise on this.

here my question is configuration ISl link from both stand alone fabric , there is no impact for brocade 300 zone configuration, in the same time  will it reflect Hp blade san switch zone configuration in fabric A & B?    or any additional procedure on this. and also find the my entire requirement  diagram.

Valued Contributor

Re: Zone Configuration And Isl Link setup...

Hi, changing a domain id or executing switchdisable will disrupt traffic.

You also have to understand that two standalone switches with different zone configurations don't merge by themselves.

The zone configuration on both switches you want to merge must be identical in order for a merge two succeed.

When a merge fails the switch tells you the reason.

You can use the a paid version of BNA to help merge the zones, but you can do it manually as well as I don't think you have a particularly complex setup.

In the worst case you could clear both the C class switch and the b300 from it's zoning config, then ISL the switches, and start over.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am not going to change entire switches domain ID at the same time for the fabric traffic disrupt, first i will do the configuration setup in fabric-A , at the same time my exchange server communicating through second b300. there is no impact for me.

zone configuration merge we can do manually, but i could not understand this say for the example i am telling my understand.

like take a zone configuration back up(using configure upload command) from HP blades switches, and clear san configuration from them, adding the Hp switches in to b300 as edge switches for ISl link setup and restore zone configuration in fabric setup. in this scenario i saw the some FOS document (configure restore) same arch tech switch only we can restore zone configuration.please suggest more on this if i wrong any think.

Valued Contributor

May help you as well.

I don't exactly understand what you are looking for with the following iece of txt

like take a zone configuration back up(using configure upload command) from HP blades switches, and clear san configuration from them, adding the Hp switches in to b300 as edge switches for ISl link setup and restore zone configuration in fabric setup. in this scenario i saw the some FOS document (configure restore) same arch tech switch only we can restore zone configuration.please suggest more on this if i wrong any think.

But I think you are looking into how you can use configupload/configdownload to get a successful merge.

If that's the case a prerequisite is you use wwpn zoning, if you do you're good to go.

By head so no warranties on correctness, please use common sense when attempting this and do make sure you have copies of your config in a save place

-For both switches (A & B) you want to merge do a configupload.

-Make a second copy of both configuploads file in a secure place they will allow a rollback

-Then copy ONLY the zoning information from switch A and copy it in the zoning info from switch B, while retaining the original info as well @@@

-Load the updated config for switch B using configdowload

-Check your switch B if it 1)still works as it should with regards to the old config and 2)show the copied zones as well.

-Clear switch A zoning config save enable and the switchdisable switch A

-ISL A & B together and switchenable switch A, it should now merge and copy the zoning db from switch B

@@@ on several occasions I heard/read you can also load part of the config , for instance only the zoning information and omitting the rest, but have never tried it.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your comment it will help me lot, sorry for the inconvenience i could not explore more on this, i am very new for this san fabric.

taken an example;-

after cascading with b300 & HP San and its now fabric-A, i do not want merge zone configuration as single zone from  b300 and HP san . if its comes separate zone as two zone no issues on this. else shall we must do the single zone as from the two zone.if not required we can manage both zone in fabric-A. like configuring new aliases in both zone possible or not.both zone are configured for different host and storage.

Valued Contributor

Again I don't understand this bit

after cascading with b300 & HP San and its now fabric-A, i do not want merge zone configuration as single zone from  b300 and HP san . if its comes separate zone as two zone no issues on this. else shall we must do the single zone as from the two zone.if not required we can manage both zone in fabric-A. like configuring new aliases in both zone possible or not.both zone are configured for different host and storage.

But this is not going to happen.

i do not want merge zone configuration as single zone from  b300 and HP san

If you don't want a merge between the switches then don't ISL them.

The whole point of ISL switches together in one fabric is to have one single zone config.

If this is not what you meant than please clarify.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook