03-02-2006 06:12 AM
Try using the i.p. address of the switch within the browser rather than the host or alias name and see if that helps. I seem to recall a hyphen within the host or alias name causing this issue.
03-23-2006 01:51 PM
I may have run into the same problem today, where the JAVA Applet Failed to load. I tried to acccess the same switch from another client and it worked fine, I could use the orig client with a different switch and it worked fine, but the one switch kept failing to load for the Admin and the Zone windows. I reinstalled JAVA 1.4.2_11 and received the same errors. I then went into my Internet Options and deleted all of my cookies & temp files and then cleared my history and all worked fine.