Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

XISL and Virtual Fabric

Hi:

I'm creating a new virtual switch on a DCX running FOS v6.4 for testing purpouses. I don't want to use the shared XISL from the base switch in this new test switch; so I disable the switch, and run the config command for disabling the use of XISL.

I got the "... will disable the LISL in other switches..." warning me about LISL in other production virtual switches. Is this correct? Of course I don't want to loose the LISL on other switches.

The question is.... enabling/disabling the use of XISL is a chassis-wide parametre, or restraint to the virtual-switch?

Thanks,

Luis

Valued Contributor

Re: XISL and Virtual Fabric

As you don't describe the exact steps and command you used the (try) to disable XISL use, I can't tell if something was missed.

But XISL use is a LS setting and done like

1.Connect to the physical chassis and log in using an account with the chassis-role permission.
2.Set the context to the logical switch you want to manage, if you are not already in that context.
setcontext fabricID

3.Enter the switchShow command and check the value of the Allow XISL Use parameter.
4.Enter the following command: configure
5.Enter y after the Fabric Parameters prompt:
Fabric parameters (yes, y, no, n): y

6.Enter y at the Allow XISL Use prompt to allow XISL use; enter n at the prompt to disallow XISL use:

Allow XISL Use (yes, y, no, n): y

7.Respond to the remaining prompts or press Ctrl-d to accept the other settings and exit.

New Contributor

Sorry for not being clear with my question. Let me rephrase it...

I want to create an additional virtual switches on the DCX chassis. This additional switch should not use the XISL from the base switch. So, the commands are...

> setcontext 128

> lscfg --create 10

> setcontext 10

> switchdisable

> configure

Allow XISL Use (yes, y, no, n): n

WARNING!! Disabling this parameter will cause removal of LISLs to

other logical switches. Do you want to continue? (yes, y, no, n):

...here is where I hesitate and abort the command. I don't want to loose the LISLs on my other logical switches.

So, is it possible to have in the same chasis several switches with different "allow XISL" config?

Valued Contributor

WARNING!! Disabling this parameter will cause removal of LISLs to

other logical switches.

Above warning tells you that by disabling the XISL feature, you lose all Logical ISL's for the switch you set the context to in the first place

From what I understand you are in the context of the newly created Logical Switch when you call the configure command.

Therefor you can except with Yes, which will cause the LS to loose all LISL's if they where present.

Mind you, you can still use DISL's if thats needed.

..here is where I hesitate and abort the command. I don't want to loose the LISLs on my other logical switches.

So, is it possible to have in the same chasis several switches with different "allow XISL" config?

As the use of XISL is a LS setting you can have different settings for XISL/LISL. When you think of it in terms of "Can i have the same DID for LS's in a chassis the answer is Yes. Its a logically different switch with its own fabric.ops , zoning, routing policies etc. why would that be different for using XISL's?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook