Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

When using EX_Port –> E_Port

Hi All

I need to know in what situation I may need to configure an ISL type EX –> E. 

I know that this EX-to-E port connection is used for Fabric Routing where you do not want two fabrics to merge together and that a normal E-to-E port connection allows the two fabrics to merge to form a single geographically distributed fabric.

But what I want to know is when I actually need to maintain two separate Fabric, despite having in communication between them.

Thanks

Giorgio

External Moderator

Re: When using EX_Port –> E_Port

if you set EX_Port to E_Port, the Fabric not merge.

in order to build communication beetwen both fabric you have usually a similarly design

Switch E_Port<-> IFL EX_Port <-> Integrated Routing Switch or FC Router <-> E_port <-> ISL <-> E_Port <-> Integrated Routing Switch or FC Router <-> IFL EX_Port <-> Switch E_Port

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

Re: When using EX_Port –> E_Port

There are a couple of scenarios. For example to route from one environment to another during a migration although the hardware or firmware or configuration of the both fabrics prevent a merge. Or imagine a long distance connection over a WAN using FCIP. IP is not as reliable as an FC SAN. So it makes sense to keep the both locations as 2 fabrics and just route between them. Interruptions of the IP connection in between won't cause fabric rebuilds.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.