Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

What switch function uses port 17185?

I have several McData Sphereon 4700 fibre channel switches (yes, I know they're old, but they're solid).  Our security department has identified port 17185 as being open and a vulnerability.  While I'm not so sure about the vulnerability, it's easier just to shut it off than argue.

My question is how do I shut off this port?  I'm not sure what function is turned on within the switch that is using this port.  Can anyone tell me what feature/function to turn off to disable this port, please?

Update: here's a port scan of one switch showing the UDP port 17185.

port17185.bmp

External Moderator

Re: What switch function uses port 17185?

--->>>Our security department has identified port 17185 as being open and a vulnerability.

That McDATA use any such Port open as Default , is unknown to me.

Are you sure this open Port as be identified from 4700 ?

can you start any Port Scanner collect the output, - you can edited before some Internally Addresses - and post this output here ?

Is probable the port was activated for any Virtual Connection, eg. NPIV is enabled by Default since early Rel. 9.x, but I don't know if NPIV set any such Port.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

FYI I've posted a screenshot of a port scan.  Hope that helps.

Contributor

Hello Everyone!!

We have received alarms (from security department) in some Switches related with this port.
is there any way to close or turn off this port to scan again?
New Contributor

As a follow-up, this is a VxWorks Debugger Port, and this was fixed in the latest EOS version (I think the last, also), EOSc 9.9.9.

Contributor

but there is a problem. I can't upgrade firmware. I think the best way to fix this problem is blocking this port from the switch! but I don't know how to do it !!! somebody help me!!

Occasional Contributor

I believe that is not possible to do from these switches. Easier to upgrade as suggested earlier.

regards,

Ed

Contributor

It is impossible to do. Must be another way to block this port from the Switch

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook