Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

What's are FcAl.alwaysSendRcn and openSendCls mean ?

Hello

I have to Join into the Fabric  a new Switch Brocade 5100 with FOS 6.1.2

When i look to the confgshow output, i can see a différence with my existing swicth config where this 2 bellow parameter are different:

For info My old Fabric is constituted about 2 Switch Brocade 5000 FOS 6.0.0 and Brocade 4100 5.1.0d

The 2 Parameter are:

New Switch Brocade  5100 FOS 6.1.2

fcAL.alwaysSendRSCN:0

fcAL.openSendCLS:4

Old Switch Brocade  5000 FOS 6.0.0          Switch 4100 FOS 5.10.d

fcAL.alwaysSendRSCN:1                              fcAL.alwaysSendRSCN:0

fcAL.openSendCLS:0                                     fcAL.openSendCLS:4

What are this parameter, and as in my exsiting Fabric the 2 parameter are already not identical, how can this affect my Fabric

Other Question: I want to upgrade my 4100 From 5.1.0 to 5.3.x, and i have Production enviornemen

Is the upgrade dirsuptive ? What's can happen if only a server has only one path on the switch i have to upgrade

Best regards

External Moderator

Re: What's are FcAl.alwaysSendRcn and openSendCls mean ?

--->>> What's are FcAl.alwaysSendRcn and openSendCls mean ?

Registered State Change Notification (RSCN) is a service of the fabric that
notifies nodes of changes in state of other attached nodes: for example, if a node
is reset, removed, or otherwise undergoes a significant change in status.

As example, add remove ISL, change Port Speed, change port config, Diferrent Fabic OS Release, and much more.

--->>> Other Question: I want to upgrade my 4100 From 5.1.0 to 5.3.x, and i have Production enviornemen

Is the upgrade dirsuptive ?

--->>>What's can happen if only a server has only one path on the switch i have to upgrade

For each standalone switch in your fabric, complete all firmware download changes before issuing
the firmwareDownload command on the next switch to ensure a nondisruptive download.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi

Thank you for your quick answer bu still not clear for me:

1) Regarding RSCN: If Switch configuration differ (Some of them have RSCN enable to one and other to 0) This have no impact on Fabric Right ?

2) how to complete all firmware download changes before issuing the firmwareDownload command, could you please give some command (Little procedure)

Thanks for your help

Best regards

External Moderator

--->>> This have no impact on Fabric Right ?

is unknown to me, but i will see i can find more info and post here.

--->>> how to complete all firmware download changes before issuing the firmwareDownload command, could you please give some command (Little procedure)

"firmwaredownload"

the update is made in 2 steps automatically, no action is reuired.

first step install the FW in a standby partition, second step is the commit.

Please not powercycle the switch or reboot during upgrade procedure, the switch reboot automatically after a first step.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

fcAL.alwaysSendRSCN:1 is for FL ports only - so if you have loop devices in your fabric I would recommend setting this.If set a RSCN will be sent if there is a new device detected or abscence of a pre-existing device.

In general I do not suppress RSCN's.

Other Question: I want to upgrade my 4100 From 5.1.0 to 5.3.x, and i have Production enviornemen

Is the upgrade dirsuptive ? What's can happen if only a server has only one path on the switch i have to upgrade

Upgrades are disrutpive if you have single path. If its 4100 I can assure you that you will loose path to the storage.

There is no escape than to make connections redundant but you can do the upgrade in a more controlled fashion by using the firmware -s  and answering No to the questions for autocommit and autoreboot. Later issue the hareboot which claims to keep the traffic alive but downtime for name service.

switch:admin> firmwareDownload -s
Type of Firmware (FOS, SAS, or any application) :
Server Name or IP Address: 192.168.32.10
Network Protocol (1-auto-select, 2-FTP, 3-SCP) :
User Name: userfooFile Name: /home/userfoo/v5.3.0
Password:
*Do Auto-Commit after Reboot : n
*Reboot system after download : n
Firmware is being downloaded to the switch. This step may take up to 30minutes.
Checking system settings for firmwaredownload

New Contributor

Thanks bijukrishnan

Very usefull information

Best regards

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.