Fibre Channel (SAN)

Valued Contributor

What reasons could make HCL during an upgrade fail?

Hi,

Recently, I upgraded FOS from v6.4.1a to v6.4.2a in a 3-switch fabric (all of them Silkworm 5300) and the ugprade itself failed with the following message:

2013/03/11-17:20:47, , 2559, CHASSIS, ERROR, DS_5300B, HCL failed. Reboot the switch manually using the reboot command. However, it will disrupt the FC traffic.

I had to manually reboot the 3 switchs in order to finish the upgrade. Previously I upgraded the other fabric (also with 3 Silkworm 5300) and it finished without issues.

Does anyone know, which reason could lead to a HCL failure during the upgrade?

I checked the FOS Message Reference guide and for this particular message, the tech writer did not racked his brain to define the cause...

SULB-1037

Message <timestamp>, , <sequence-number>, INFO, <system-name>, HCL failed. Reboot the switch manually using the reboot command. However, it will disrupt the FC traffic.

Probable Cause: Indicates HCL has failed. Many reasons, such as domain not confirmed, can cause this failure.

Recommended Action: Run the reboot command to reboot the switch manually.

Severity INFO

Any advise is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Felipon

External Moderator

Re: What reasons could make HCL during an upgrade fail?

HCL indicated "Hot Code Load"

this behavior occurs when the upgrade cannot perform the FPGA Upgrade during firmwaredownload and commit.

in such case you have to reboot the switch manually as indicated in the Switch Reference Message Guide.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply , but what I would like to know are the possible reasons of it. In this case, something fabric-wide must have prevented the HCL from performing the upgrade nondisruptively and I would like to know what could be, since the upgrade in the other fabric finished smoothly.

Kind regards,

Felipon

Valued Contributor

Does anyone the reasons why a Hot Code Load could not be performed? or where to go search this info?

Thnks

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.