Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

What is reassignments of the Port ID?

Hi All,

I'm configuring a new switch into IBM Blade Center, and i'd like to configure it as Access Gateway Mode.

This new switch will conect to a Core Swich (48K) using 2 ports (2 on Blade Center Swich and 2 into my Core Swich). During the new swich configuration, i've found this information into Brocade manual, giving some explanation about this kind of configuration, but it's not so clear to me what is reassignments of the Port ID and what it could impact my environment.

Could i use  F_Port masterless trunking to avoid it? Any help i'll be appreciated!

Super Contributor

Re: What is reassignments of the Port ID?

Hello Daniel,

if you do not use F-port trunking it can happens that your Device will get a new F-Port ID if the primary uplink fails.

This can cause problems if your OS does not support dynamic path tracking.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Contributor

Thank you very much!

Do you know if this problems into my OS would be some SCSI timeouts ou disk paths would become dead?

Super Contributor

Loosing a trunk member will result in IO errors or SCSI timeouts for all open Exchanges which had used the "dead line". This will not affect all hosts.

The key point is that the PID will not change from the OS point of view.

All trunk members shared the same PID.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook