Fibre Channel (SAN)

Frequent Contributor

What does bufopmode improve?

Scrolling through the FabOS v7.x CLI guide I saw the command  bufopmode. It seems to be introduced in v6.4.1 but I never saw anybody using it so far. From the description:

"When buffer optimized mode is enabled on a slot, additional buffers are allocated on the internal ports.
Use this feature, if you have slow draining devices connected to the slot and there are no long distance
links on that slot.This command can provide more credit flexibility and may help with congestion."

Wouldn't that just mean that the problem happens some split seconds later? Is there any experience here in the community about if and how much this command helped in an environment with a slow drain device?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers seb

Valued Contributor

What does bufopmode improve?

Wouldn't that just mean that the problem happens some split seconds  later? Is there any experience here in the community about if and how  much this command helped in an environment with a slow drain device?

Maybe. From what I understand, this command release the buffer credits reservation on ports. Should a port (internal or external) need more credits to keep transmitting, it can claim them from a larger pool than usual. Yes eventually the credits must be returned or you'll run out off credits..

Disclaimer> I have no experience in using this command.

Valued Contributor

Re: What does bufopmode improve?

If there is a host continuously behaving as a slow drain device, this command will won't help but if there is a host that behaves as a slow drain dev for a few secs from time to time, this mode could be useful.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook