Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Virtualization with FOS 6.2 ?

All i want to know is, if i have a DCX backbone switch that i want to split in 2 virtual switches.

FOS 6.2 permits that, not out wet, but will be soon.

I want to know if when dowing a firmware upgrade in the futur, will i be able to do the upgrade one virtual switch at a time, or it will be disruptive for the hoe physicle switch ?

I think it will affect the hole physical switch, but i want to make sure of that.

Thank you !

External Moderator

Re: Virtualization with FOS 6.2 ?

FOS Upgrade is not Distruptive, indifferently if the Switch as configure as Vitual or not.

With other word, after Firmware upgrade your have of the Phisical Switch and Virtual Switch a same FOS release, because the FOS will load in a unique CF Card of the Control's Processor's.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

So , i can't do maintenance on one virtual switch at a time.

If i reboot i reboot all virtual, i can't reboot virtual switchs separetly.

One FOS on one CF card. It's not like the old M12 switches that where split in two physicaly.

Thank you !

External Moderator

What is the reason to reboot the switch ? Sure not a FOS upgrade.

FOS Upgrade is not disruptive, and any reboot is not necessary.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I have installed FOS 5.3.1a on two M48 switch.

I had to reboot them for it to take effect.

And if i install the new FOS, lets say FOS 6.3, and something appends and it doesent work !!

I loose all my switch config ... That's why we do it one path at a time, to see if everything works after you upgrade.

Thanks !

External Moderator

Hi,

I have Upgrade in the last 4 Years since FOS 5.x.x around 300 Switches. I have Upgrade around 40 Directors, 24000 and 48000 and any Reboot was not necessary. All Switches and Directors work fine without any lost of connection or another issue.

Sorry but i don't see any reason to reboot the switch.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.