Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Virtualization with FOS 6.2 ?

All i want to know is, if i have a DCX backbone switch that i want to split in 2 virtual switches.

FOS 6.2 permits that, not out wet, but will be soon.

I want to know if when dowing a firmware upgrade in the futur, will i be able to do the upgrade one virtual switch at a time, or it will be disruptive for the hoe physicle switch ?

I think it will affect the hole physical switch, but i want to make sure of that.

Thank you !

External Moderator

Re: Virtualization with FOS 6.2 ?

FOS Upgrade is not Distruptive, indifferently if the Switch as configure as Vitual or not.

With other word, after Firmware upgrade your have of the Phisical Switch and Virtual Switch a same FOS release, because the FOS will load in a unique CF Card of the Control's Processor's.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

So , i can't do maintenance on one virtual switch at a time.

If i reboot i reboot all virtual, i can't reboot virtual switchs separetly.

One FOS on one CF card. It's not like the old M12 switches that where split in two physicaly.

Thank you !

External Moderator

What is the reason to reboot the switch ? Sure not a FOS upgrade.

FOS Upgrade is not disruptive, and any reboot is not necessary.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I have installed FOS 5.3.1a on two M48 switch.

I had to reboot them for it to take effect.

And if i install the new FOS, lets say FOS 6.3, and something appends and it doesent work !!

I loose all my switch config ... That's why we do it one path at a time, to see if everything works after you upgrade.

Thanks !

External Moderator

Hi,

I have Upgrade in the last 4 Years since FOS 5.x.x around 300 Switches. I have Upgrade around 40 Directors, 24000 and 48000 and any Reboot was not necessary. All Switches and Directors work fine without any lost of connection or another issue.

Sorry but i don't see any reason to reboot the switch.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook