Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Virtual fabrics capability.

All you helpful folks out there, please help me out with these questions:

i) My shop has a brocade 48k with six FC-4-32 blades and FOS 6.3. Is this switch capable of Virtual Fabrics?.

ii) Can we install FC-8-32 blades in the empty slots? (In other words: can we have some blades with 4gb ports and some blades with 8gb ports?)

iii) If answer to first question is "no" and second question is "yes", can we install FC-8-32 blades on this switch and make the  FC-8-32 blades capable of Virtual Fabrics?

iv) Do we need a separate license to use the virtual fabric feature?.

If the answers are published in any document, please provide me the reference.

Bunch of Gratitude.

Valued Contributor

Re: Virtual fabrics capability.

i> VF is only supported on 8G platforms

ii> yes you can, but be aware that traffic between 8G ASIC's have to go thru the routing ASIC on the backend which is 4G.

iii> no as 48k doen't support VF, however it's supported to ISL the 48K to an Logical Switch

iiii> as for as I know off the only req. is running FOS 6.2 or higher.

Occasional Contributor

Dear Dion.v.d.c,

Thanks a ton for your replies. Few confusion here though:

a) Does you answer to question (ii)  means that  8gb blades can be installed in empty slots of a 4gb 48k but since the routing ASIC on the backend which is 4G, the speed of the ports in the 8gb blade will be reduced to 4gb?

b) Your reply to question i says that virtual fabrics are compatible only with 8gb platforms, so why cant we implement virtual fabrics on the ports of the 8gb blades installed on a 4gb 48k?.

c) If we purchase a new 8gb 48k, will virtual fabrics work, or is virtual fabrics not comptible with any 48k at all?.

Thank you again.

Valued Contributor

A> My answer means

----1 you can install 8G blades if you need/want/wish to

----2 inter ASIC traffic will be limit to 4G because of the backend being 4G

emp. FC8-16 has one ASIC for all ports and backend connectivity.

All traffic local to the blade will be 8G if al other component are 8G

emp. FC8-32 has two ASIC which service half of the ports each and supply backend conn.

All traffic local to the ASIC will be 8G

All traffic local to the blad BUT nu local to the ASIC has to cross the CP blade which is 4G

All traffic between blades, see above.

B>You can't the 48K doesn't do VF as the CP ASIC doesn't understand. You can connect it to a VF capable switch and have it join a VF defined on that switch.

C>See B and anyway why buy a new 48k if you can buy a new DCX?

Occasional Contributor

Thanks. Much Appreciated!!!

Valued Contributor

your welcome

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook