07-29-2012 04:11 AM
I need some help in order to validate my VMWARE - SAN design.
We are connecting a new HP C7000 Blade System enclosure to the SAN.
The SAN is based on 02 FC Fabrics composed from Cisco MDS 9124 FC switches.
The HP C7000 enclosure is equiped with two Brocade FC switches for HP Blade System.
Brocade FC switches are operating in Access Gateway Mode.
VMWare VSphere ESXi 5.0 is installed on blade servers.
Our objectife is connecting VMs to SAN directly. This means, LUNs will be visible by VMs.
What I made :
- Zone creation on Cisco Fabrics. Every zone contain : Initiators (ESXi Server WWPN, Brocade AG WWPN) and Targets ( IBM Disk Array WWPN)
- LUN Mapping on Storage System to ESXi Host
At this stage, ESXi host can view the LUN from the SAN.
- After adding new RAW disk to the VM and generating new 2 WWN and 2 WWPN, the VM guest OS can view this new virtual disk.
But I need to make zoning based on VM Virtual WWPN (no physical ESXi WWPN), and I can't see these WWPN on Cisco Fabric Manager stofware.
I think something is missing.
Please enlighten me on this topic.
11-09-2012 06:09 AM
1. Make sure NPIV enabled on Switch port and Host port ( ESXi physical ) .
2. Make sure the Fabric login of the Virtual WWPN.
3. Just make zoning for virtual WWPN same as physical WWPN. No need to zone the the physical WWPNs ( Only needed if vendor recommended ) .
11-12-2012 03:24 AM
Felix, thanks for help.
We resolved our problem. I tried to find V WWN in fabric to make zonning. But zonning (Storage - V WWN) must be made before starting virtual machine. After i created zonning and started machine all V WWNs appered in fabric.