Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Using FTP Function with Brocade 12000

Hi All,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the FTP function on my Brocade 12000 working. I use to programs - Alex FTP and 3C Daemon on 2 different computers and I continually get the messge - "Unable to connect to remote host" when accessing the CP's my normal way through Telnet.

I tried 2 or 3 computer to may rule out a firewall or local computer issue, but then again, all computers are on the same network still. I have went physically to the switch and connected to each CP, and still have no luck.

I used the "supportftp" command and added a IP address, username and password and set that properly for my FTP server, and still no luck. I'm running firmware version 4.4.2b on both CP's, but just can't get it working. I need to get into this switch to upgrade firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Super Contributor

Re: Using FTP Function with Brocade 12000

--->>>I use to programs - Alex FTP and 3C Daemon...

use Microsoft Windows Standard FTP, make sure the FTP accept Write Access, andis in same Subnet as the Switch

Contributor

Well thank you, that helped, but now I'm getting an error saying the .plist file cannot be found. I have the v4.4.2b in a in a directory and all the files, I tried putting them in the root directory and ther defaulted expandded folder and now thats what I get. Boy, I really hate old firmware and switches.

Super Contributor

eric,

--->>>.... but now I'm getting an error saying the .plist file cannot be found.

.plist, is ending name in from upgrade file "release.plist"

wo you want to upgrade the switch ?

--->>> I have the v4.4.2b in a in a directory and all the files, I tried putting them in the root directory and ther defaulted expandded folder and now thats what I get.

really I don't understand whatyou mean, "I tried putting them in the root directory..."

Is 4.4.2b the current loaded Release, or you want to upgrade to this Rel ?

login trough telnet as admin collect al this output, save as output.txt or output.DOC and post here please

"switchshow"

"firmwareshow"

"licenseshow"

Contributor

The current release of firmware on the switch is 4.4.0b; I'm trying to upgrade to 4.4.2b. When I have a chance later this week I will upload the files here.

Otherewise I will maybe try remotely since I'm working from home this beginning of the week.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

--->>> I'm trying to upgrade to 4.4.2b

you must unzip the packagen and make sure the FTP Server is correct configure and pointed in the Folder contained the Extracted FOS Package.

login trough telnet as admin, start with the command "firmwaredownload" .

As FTP address insert the Address you PC/Server, as File name select the FTP Root Folder Name which contain the extract File,

i.e.

/foldername/release.plist

This is the upgrade procedure and is very simple, nothing of plist file need be copied manually in the switch.

Super Contributor

12K will support 5.0.5f . you should upgarde to this FOS not a lower one, this SW is EOL and EOS also.

Contributor

Yes, I'm aware it's EOL, but one CP is still at 4.4.0b, so I want to upgrade that first to match the other CP which is at 4.4.2b. Once that is done, my plans are to upgrade to 5.0.5f.

The problem I'm having now - I can't even upgrade the CP to 4.4.2b to match each other. Once thats done first, then I will be able to move forward to newer firmware

Thanks for the input!

Super Contributor

Eric,

--->>>....but one CP is still at 4.4.0b,

is this CP as Active or Standby ?

Such different FOS rel. by DUAL CP Plattform are caused when user do "firmwaredownload -s"

or CP was replaced due Defective with Different FOS Level.

Operand -s, upgrade the FOS only in Active CP.

what say "hashow" command ? please post the output here.

Another question, are you able to create a Remote connection ?

Super Contributor

pls find attached the procedures to do it.But I think there is an issue with FTP. So connect a laptop and try to do it with -s option. Even if you may have to change  laptops. I have faced this issue.Sometimes it happens with PC and laptops.

Also if you r not successful in doing the upgrade through windows, try to download the UNIX version of the FOS and try to do through a UNIX machine, that is pretty much easier.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook