Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Using Brocade 1860 with VDX switch

I'm hoping someone could clarify a feature or limit there of on the Brocade 1860.  Here is an extract from "Brocade Adapters Administrator's Guide v3.0.0.0"

----

NOTE
Windows Server 2008 x86, x64, and R2 support VLANs, teaming, and VLANs on teams. Windows
Server 2003 x86 and x64 support VLANs and teaming.

VLANs and teaming are supported on Linux, Solaris, and VMware, but are implemented by the OS
vendors.

----

In my environment, I have two 2-port 1860 adapters are installed on Dell R610 servers running CentOS/Redhat 6 64-bit and connected to a Brocade VDX switch.

So as I understand it, this card will bond/team/lag but not allow vlan tagging  on top of the teaming under Linux?  I can bond and tag with a vlan id using the embedded Broadcom Nextreme cards, but I'm having no luck with these cards.

Thanks.

Ben

Contributor

Re: Using Brocade 1860 with VDX switch

Ben,

NOTE

Windows Server 2008 x86, x64, and R2 support VLANs, teaming, and VLANs on teams. Windows Server 2003 x86 and x64 support VLANs and teaming.

VLANs and teaming are supported on Linux, Solaris, and VMware, but are implemented by the OS vendors.

So, to support teaming on Windows, an intermediate driver had to be developed on top of our network driver. As for Linux, Solaris and VMware, there is an OS stack (i.e Linux bonding driver, dladm on Solaris) that handles the teaming / bonding. Then you use the OS tools to apply vlan to bond / link aggregate.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Using Brocade 1860 with VDX switch

I was able to resolve our issue with using the Brocade 1860 in a linux environment for teaming/lag/trunking using 802.1ad.  We manually installed kmod-bna-3.0.0.0-0.el6.x86_64.rpm and  bna-snmp-3.0.0.0-rhel6.x86_64.rpm.  The cards are in NIC mode and have no plans on using FC.

For some reason installing kmod-bfa prevented the host from using lacp for bonding.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook