Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Useful capacity & performance data to collect from Brocade 200e and 4900

We use Brocade 200e and 4900 fabric switches. I am currently in the process of getting the relevent MIBs for the running FabOSs. Dont have the FabOS list yet. I am fairly new to the Brocade family. The Brocades are used for EMC SAN access from Servers running database services on Linux.

I need to understand the critical metrics and the performance ceilings/limits for these metrics, to maintain good performance and right capacity on the switches. And secondly do the MIBs provide this information? Thanks. Renji 

Super Contributor

Re: Useful capacity & performance data to collect from Brocade 200e and 4900

Hi,

I would like to start with your second question first.

"And secondly do the MIBs provide this information" -->No,  MIBs do only convert long OIDs into meaning full names. Not more. There are no metrics in the MIBs.

"I need to understand the critical metrics and the performance ceilings/limits for these metrics" --> I suggest to monitor your storage array to maintain and provide best performance.

In 90% of each cases the arrays are the limiting factor. You have to cover that your physical transport layer is error free.

If you have no further questions  and you are happy with this information, please mark the thread.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

New Contributor

Re: Useful capacity & performance data to collect from Brocade 200e and 4900

Hi Andreas I may have not framed my question correctly - what I meant was - are there OIDs in the MIB that point to data collected by the switch's SNMP agent that is useful for performance measurements and what are they?

I understand the limitation is mostly within the storage system. I am looking at a way to determine bandwdith used, fan out, fan -in, ISL ratio etc. I have been exploring SAN health so I have been getting some useful information there. With SNMP, automation and alerts would be possible if I can collect the same data.

We use Fab OS versions 5.0.4, 5.1.0d and 5.3.0a on the 200e and 4016s. I need to find the relevent MIBs. Would you know? I have also raised the question to Brocade awhile back.

thanks

Renji

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook