Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Upgrading 200E FabOS to 6.2.0c

We have a set of core Brocades (200E running FOS 5.3.0a) connected to our EMC CX3-20 and also Recoverpoint appliances.  We just bought a Dell Blade center with Brocade switches that have FOS 6.2.0c on them.  I have to connect these switches and the two versions of FOS are not compatible so Dell wants me to upgrade the 200Es to the same level.

I can't find any compatibility information to ensure that my Clarion CX3-20 (flare 03.26.0202.5.025) will continue to operate or anything for that matter on the Recoverpoint appliances.

Anyone know of any documentation that might help me?

N/A

Re: Upgrading 200E FabOS to 6.2.0c

Try this URL. Click on Matrices tab near the bottom of the page.

http://www.brocade.com/products/SAN_interop_and_compatibility.jsp

New Contributor

I actually already read that document and that is what prompted the question.  On page 5 of the compatibility matrix you mention is clear states that the only FabOS that runs on a 200E falls between version 5.1 and 5.x.  This document was published December 18th, 2009.

In the Release Notes for all of the 6.x versions (at least up to 6.2.0c that I have looked at) of the code it indicates that the 200E is in fact supported.  so one brocade document seems to be in conflict with another one.  The last thing I want to do is to try and load an unsupported version of code.  I'm not sure what happens when you do that as I have never had the luxury of spare hardware to play with.

The compatibility matrix also states that the 200E is compatible with a CX3-20 but no mention of Flare code versions.  The assumption is that it is compatible with all in that case but I'm trying to reverse check that with EMC.

So... at this stage I am still not sure if I can proceed.

Super Contributor

Tell me please:

1) Operating System is connect to CX3.

2) HBA model

New Contributor

We are connecting mainly VMware ESX 3.5 Update 4 servers via Qlogic 2462 cards.  We also have a couple IBM P-Series servers running AIX 5.3.0.0 with IBM 5774 HBA's installed.

The only other device is a pair of EMC Recoverpoint 3.1 SP1 appliances.

Super Contributor

Well I would do it this way

Check if 6.2.0c is compatible with 200 E and then check if all other components are compatible with 200E.

6.2.0c should be compatible with 200E - I have with me Release notes from 6.2.0d - ABBA can try and give you the REL notes for 6.2.0c - check for compatible hardware.

and from the Brocade Data Center Ready compatibility matrix June 2009

VMware ESX Server 3.5 is supported with QLA2462 when connected to 200E

IBM 5774 is only compatible with AIX 6.1 for 200E.

As per the doc, EMC recoverpoint is not compatible with 200E

New Contributor

That is precisely what I am trying to do.  I have the 6.2.0c release notes and yes the 200E seems to be mentioned.  I also have the compatibily matrix you are talking about and it specifically disagrees with the release notes (and it is a later publication).

Oddly, you mention that AIX and the IBM 5774 as well as EMC Recoverpoint are not compatible with the 200E and I am currently running this exact setup.  It was configured by EMC and compatibility verified at that time.

See why I find this all confusing?  The real question of course is not can I connect these devices to a 200E (clearly I can).  It is can I continue to connect these devices to a 200E "AFTER" I upgrade the FabOS on the 200E to 6.2.0c?

Super Contributor

The compatibility matrix is what Brocade tests in its Labs. You should goto the OEM vendor, which in this case is EMC and ask them to certify the setup with 6.2.0c. You must be paying them $$$$ to do exactly this.

From my experience you should have no problems once you upgrade to 6.2.0c - the reason why 200E would not support RP is probably coz its a entry level switch and not because it wont really work with RP.

You can also tread a cautious path by upgrading one fabric at a time, if you see no problems on that path, proceed with the other.

New Contributor

I am trying to get to this same release but I am having an issue with the release.plist.  I have 4 200E's on firmware version 5.0.1a.  I just came into possession of them and need to get them up to date.  In the extracted zip file there are 18 or so directories SWBD10, SWBD12, etc.  All of them have a release.plist in them.  Which one do I reference in the firmwareDownload command?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Super Contributor

Winslowa,

I don't see any similary Issue beetwen you problem and this Threads here.

This threads was created about diverse compatibility Problem.

You are invited to avoid confusion to open a NEW Threads.

Thank you.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook