Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Unable to join swiches due to "AD conflict"

Long story short:

CU has 2 8G Brocade Blazer 3 BC switches connecting to a DCX upstream.  Originally they were having SI issues and removed them to to test with 4G.  4G works but since we could not replicate the problem we've asked the CU a few weeks later to reinstall the 8G switches.  The 8Gs were orignally working fine as far as connectiong upstream, before the 4G were installed.   At first when we reinstalled the 8G we thought they should just pick up where they had left off but on both sides we see "AD conflict" message on the two upstream ports.   I thought perhaps resetting the Blazer 3 to defaults would take care of the issue but now instead of "AD Conflict" we see "Zone Conflict" even when there is no zoning config at all on the Blazer while on the DCX it still reports "AD Conflict."

I know very little about Admin Domains and the last time I ran into an issue somewhat like this "Zone merge problems" the entire zoning DB ended up getting blown away..so I'm extremely hesitant to fiddle with this until I know what is going on and what I should be doing.  I get the feeling it should be a simple command to run at the CLI but so far I'm not finding much to help with this.  They do have AD0 and AD1, 0 seems unuzed and 1 has all the information in it.

Thanks,

GL

Super Contributor

Re: Unable to join swiches due to "AD conflict"

Hi,

can you provide the correct error message from the errlog?

Can you check if you have defzone --noaccess mode enabled on one of the switches?

If so check the admin guide about the limitation if you would like to merge the switches/fabrics.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Contributor

I'm looking into the defzone setting, I do not have ready access to the equipment so I need to wait for a response.

As for what is currently reported, pretty generic zone conflict message on the BC side, I do not have logs from the DCX at this time:

2011/01/20-16:57:02, , 2947, FID 128, WARNING, bc7san1, port 0, Zone Conflict.

2011/01/20-16:57:02, , 2948, FID 128, WARNING, bc7san1, port 15, Zone Conflict.

Contributor

Got the Defzone info;

bc7san1:USERID> defzone --show
Default Zone Access Mode of AD0
        committed - All Access
        transaction - No Transaction
bc7san1:USERID>

Default Zone Access Mode of AD0
        committed - No Access
        transaction - No Transaction
nwtiffc01:admin>

So, looks like the core, for AD0, is set to No Access?   How does this work with they have AD1 as well?

Thanks!

Greg.

Contributor

I started looking up info on defzone and see that they must match on each end, however when the customer attempts to set no access on the edge switch he gets:

bc7san1:USERID> defzone --noaccess
Operation allowed only in AD0 context and if no ADs are configured
bc7san1:USERID> ad --show
Current AD Number: 0  AD Name: AD0

Effective configuration:
------------------------

AD Number:   0  AD Name: AD0    State: Active

Switch port members:            30,14;

We attempted to reset to defaults again and clear it but it gave the same error.

Contributor

Another oddity - We've reset the switch to factory defaults and the cables between it and the core are disconnected...yet is still knows about:

AD Number:   0  AD Name: AD0    State: Active

Switch port members:            30,14;

Customer says 30 and 14 are the ports on his upstream....

Contributor

FYI - We got it figured out, or rather Brocade Support did.  Took a while as it had them stumped for several hours as well.  Luck would have it one of the guys our guy talked to had run into this problem before.   It seems that there is a 'hidden' AD config that even after clearing zoning and AD configs and even attemping resetting to factory defaults would not clear.  With the following steps we were able to get them to join back up:

Remove the zoning configuration in each admin domain.

ad --select AD1
cfgclear
cfgsave

Repeat for each AD.

Remove the AD config
ad --clear

Set the default access mode to all access
defzone --allaccess

Unblock the ISL.

Regards,

G.L.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook