Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Unable to Login to McData 4500 (DS24M2) Switch

Hello everyone,

i am unable to Login to my McData Switch through switch explorer.

it says "page cannot be displayed" and when i tried to Ping the IP Address assigned, it says request timed out.

but my other fabric / switch is online and i am able to login.

i have swapped the Network cable with the switch which is working to verify if it is a network issue, but after swapping the cables also the First switch is still unable to ping but the second one.

i have done a power cycle of the switch once but still the issue resides.

The switch is a Dell Rebranded switch and the firmware running on this switch is 5.01.00 24

i need to login to the faulty switch and verify what is the error or i need to know why it occured.

had anyone came across this situation??

any suggetions or reply is Appreiciated.

regards

Rohit Nambiar

Super Contributor

Re: Unable to Login to McData 4500 (DS24M2) Switch

Are you sure you use here the Correct Switch IP Address ? 

New Contributor

Hi,

yes the Switch IP Address is correct.

Bcoz i Have both ip Address one after the other.

for example, if my First Switch is 10.1.1.10, then the other is 10.1.1.11.

so i am sure that it is correct.

last week there was some SFP's Are faulty. this week i have replaced and all the SFP's are working fine.

i have some servers and a  EMC Array connected to the switch.

but as of now, there is now connectivity from the switch, as all my Server HBA's are logged in to the EMC array through one switch.

any reply appreciated.

regards

Rohit

Super Contributor

Connect a laptop directly to the switch, configure your laptop with an ip address/netmask in the same range and try connecting. This way you can isolate all possibilities of having issues with your network.

I presume you'll need a cross cable to connect the switch directly to your laptop, but am not sure.

New Contributor

HI Biju,

i have to try that next as i have already swapped the cable between the switches still the working on is still pingable.

i have a doubt, if there was multiple failures of SFP's will this reset the switch to factory defaults ??

i will try to connect the switch through a serial connection to my laptop and will try to login and if it is not possible i will do a power cycle and verifiy the switch.

will update shortly once i compleate all these steps.

regards

Rohit Nambiar

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook