Fibre Channel (SAN)

prp
Occasional Contributor

USB firmwaredownload query

I have just experienced problems upgrading the firmware/FOS on a Brocade 300.

Download of firmware didn't complete successfully from my FTP server (failed after about 20 minutes) and given the late hour and the fact that I had 2 upgrades per switch to complete (v6.1.1a ==>v6.2.2b==>v6.3.2b2) I decided to call it a day and revisit at a later date.

The path to the FTP server and downloads is not optimal and can probably be improved if need be (don't ask!), but I'm interested in the USB download/install option as this might save me some trouble in the long run with all my switches (we have other fabrics)

Has anybody used this? - I have a few questions:

How do I go about getting a Brocade branded USB drive (how big are they and how much is it likely to cost)?

Why do I have to have a branded one (has anyone tried a non-branded one - shouldn't it just be a case of formatting the USB drive with Ext3, then plugging in and mounting into the correct path)?

During a network based firmwaredownload the switch appears to be bringing the RPMs down to local storage prior to executing an upgrade - when using the USB option is this the same or can the switch access the RPMs directly from their location on the USB drive without having to transfer them to it's own local,permanent storage?

Any help/pointers/advice gratefully received.

Super Contributor

Re: USB firmwaredownload query

The Brocade USB stick provides storage for firmware updates, output of the supportSave command and storage for configuration uploads and downloads.  Its 2 Gb in size.  I just looked up the Brocade MSRP on it and I show $222.  It has a very specific folder tree that exists within so the files that are uploaded/downloaded are automatically placed and is the only USB device that can be used for this.

Purchasing options can be found at:  How to Buy - Brocade

Hope that helps.  If you need any further info, please let me know.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
prp
Occasional Contributor

Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me - apologies for my delay in replying to you.

I'm particularly interested in how the use of this USB storage might affect/improve the experience of upgrading firmware/FOS.

Do you know how this extra storage affects the mechanics of an upgrade? - as per the original post:

During a network based firmwaredownload the switch appears to be bringing the RPMs down to local storage prior to executing an upgrade - when using the USB option is this the same or can the switch access the RPMs directly from their location on the USB drive without having to transfer them to it's own local,permanent storage?

If the switch can upgrade directly from the USB storage it my make a big difference to upgrade times, especially when doing 2 or more upgrades in succession.

However, if the switch just downloads from the USB stick in much the same way that it does from an FTP site then it may make more sense for me just to put my upgrade files on a more reliable/closer FTP server especially if the USB interface is version 1 rather than version 2 - the switch model in question is a 300 - does anybody know what USB interface version this would use?

Any advice/help appreciated.

Contributor

prp

When using the USB memory stick with firmwaredownload the switch will access the local USB port to download the firmware image onto the switch. It will not utilize the management port / network for the download. When I've done this in the past it has taken a normally 20 minute firmwaredownload process down to about 9 minutes in total.

Good luck!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook