Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Trying to get a SAN configured; running into Brocade issues

Hello all,

I've got the following setup:

• Netapp 3140, dual controller
  • QLogic 5602 (firmware 7.4) connected to both controllers. This works perfectly.
  • Brocade Silkworm 4100 (firmware 6.1c) connected to both controllers. Can't do anything with it.
  • Oldschool Apple XRaid that I'd like to plug in at some point. It's not a part of the situation yet, but I'd like to add it eventually.

Both switches have been inherited from other locations in my organisation.

OK, some more details:

Well, I haven't needed to set up a SAN from scratch with different vendore before, so I have never needed to look at the "advanced" settings. Frankly, I was expecting everything to work like Ethernet switches do.

I can't reset the Brocade to factory defaults without a support contract apparently, or if so I'm misunderstanding the incomprehensible instructions. I was able to reset the QLogic to default settings though.

I think these may be the important points:

• Brocade says it's in McData Open Fabric mode and won't let me do very much.
  • I can't see how to change the mode, and I don't know why I would need to.
  • I would be fine with a single zone, allowing everything to see everything and just restrict LUNs at the filer level.
  • I haven't used the CLI on a FC switch before but I am comfortable usign the CLI if necessary. I can SSH to the switches.
  • The Brocade does show WWNs for my Netapp and for the (currently one) server connected to it.

Questions - well, one question really: What do I do now?

Regular Contributor

Re: Trying to get a SAN configured; running into Brocade issues

Hi Chris_Vancouver,

First thing to do is to reset your Brocade to its native mode as you don't have it connected to McDATA any more:

interopMode --disable

Second, it's highly recommended to upgrade switch firmware to the latest version supported by your storage vendor (Netapp). I can't read current version due to typo but you'd want to have 6.3.2d or 6.4.1b at least.

Then you'll get a normal Brocade switch where you can configure zoning and other things as necessary.

Hope this helps,

Linar

New Contributor

Re: Trying to get a SAN configured; running into Brocade issues

Thanks for the help. I had been experiencing a couple of other issues and wanted to follow up:

I needed to cycle power to the switch to get the CLI to respond properly. Once I did that, I disabled the switch with switchdisable, then disabled interop mode with interopmode 0 and rebooted the device.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I've been able to create aliases, zones, and a config through the CLI now with no problems.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook