Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Trunking SAN Brocade 300

Hello 

Actually, we have 4 brocade 300 SAN SW.

SW1 and SW2 are in one rack and SW3 and SW4 in another rack

Lest say, SW1 and SW2 are core switches, because the SAN is attached to this 2. The SAN has 2 controllers, 4 hba per controller, so we have 4 fc connections to each switch ( SW1 and SW2)

SW3 and SW4, are connected to core switches like this:

SW1 Port 0 --> SW3 Port 0

SW2 Port 0 --> SW4 Port 0

This is working fine, but now, as we have more machines connected to SW3 and SW4, we think only one fc cable per switch for the trunk is not enough.

We thinking on add this:

SW1 Port1 --> SW3 Port1

SW2 Port1 --> SW4 Port1

DO i need to add any special config, or just plugin both fc cables will do the job?

Thanks!!!

Brocade Moderator

Re: Trunking SAN Brocade 300

Hello,

Do you have trunking license installed on all the switches?

Or do you only want to add ISL without trunking?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Hello

Good question

In the Switch admin, we have fabric license but on trunking says there are no trunking links

What i did is:

I just change the domain ID so SW1 and SW2 are domain 1 and SW3 and SW4 domain 2

And the plug fc cable between SW1 and SW3 and SW2 and SW4 and is working fine, the zonning is the same for both.

Thanks

Brocade Moderator

Licenseshow command will provide you all licenses installed into the switches.

If you do not see Trunking license, then you can't do trunking.

The only way will be to add a separate ISL as you mentionned.

Make sure to have consistent parameters for ISls ports between the switches with command portcfgshow.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean with ISL parameters...

This is the portcfgshow for the SW3 port wich is connected with SW1

Ports of Slot 0 0
----------------------+---+
Speed AN
Fill Word(On Active) 0
Fill Word(Current) 0
AL_PA Offset 13 ..
Trunk Port ON
Long Distance ..
VC Link Init ..
Locked L_Port -
Locked G_Port ..
Disabled E_Port ..
Locked E_Port ..
ISL R_RDY Mode ..
RSCN Suppressed ..
Persistent Disable ..
LOS TOV mode 0
NPIV capability ON
NPIV PP Limit 126
NPIV FLOGI Logout ..
QOS Port AE
Mirror Port ..
Rate Limit ..
Credit Recovery ON
Fport Buffers ..
Eport Credits ..
Port Auto Disable ..
CSCTL mode ..
Fault Delay 0
SIM Port ..
TDZ mode ..

Brocade Moderator

I mean by this to have the same configuration between port 0 (existing ISL) and port 1 (new ISL).

portcfgshow will provide you a good view of all ports configuration for a specific switch, compare configuration between port 0 to port 1 on each switch.

Occasional Contributor

oh ok, yes, all ports have the same configuration as port 0.

The main idea of this, is to split traffics, i mean, we think the traffic between switches is high, and we want to add another fc cable to split that traffic.

Brocade Moderator

Ok good and you will add redundancy.

Occasional Contributor

ok, so, just to confirm, now we have

SW1 port0 ->> SW3 port0

SW2 port0 ->> SW4 port0

And if i add and end with this:

SW1 port0 ->> SW3 port0

SW1 port1 ->> SW3 port1

SW2 port0 ->> SW4 port0

SW2 port1 ->> SW4 port1

I will add redundancy and split traffic and the only thing i have to check is that the ports have the same config right?

Btw, you know if there is any command to see the actual live traffic of an specific port?

Thanks for the help!!

Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

Portperfshow will provide you an idea about traffic volume. But the best is to have historical performance for check traffic accross a longer period.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.