Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Trunk and zone Q

I've been tasked with connecting a pair of our HP Blade chassis with a newly acquired high-density Brocade SAN switch. I'm unsure of the model, but I'm guessing it's a 5100 based on how it was described to me. Each of the blade chassis have two of 8/24c Brocades in them.

I made sure that the new equipment ordered includes ISL trunk licenses, but I'm a bit fuzzy on a couple of things:

I'm planning on creating ISL trunks on each of the chassis Brocades and connecting them to the 5100. This means 4 ISL trunks on the 5100 - is this allowed?

Our disk storage will be connected to the 5100 also. If I create the zoning config on the 5100, does this information replicate down to the chassis Brocades? If not, what do I need to do to make sure that my blades are zoned correctly?

External Moderator

Re: Trunk and zone Q

--->>> I'm planning on creating ISL trunks on each of the chassis Brocades and connecting them to the 5100. This means 4 ISL trunks on the 5100 - is this allowed?

Yes, both switch must have a Trunking License.

--->>> This means 4 ISL trunks on the 5100 - is this allowed?

Do your want to Create ONE Group of 4 ISL trunk Port's ?

Or 4 Trunk Group ?  

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Each Brocade in the blade chassis will have its own ISL trunk, and I'm planning on maxing out each trunk with 4 ports per switch. Are each of these trunks considered to be a trunk group?

External Moderator

Yes is allowed, one ISL Trunk by one Trunk Group

example by the 5100:

port 0 to 7 consist of ONE trunk group, 8 to 15 is a second group and so on... 

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for that. What about the zone configuration? Should the zoning be done on the 5100? Does the zone information get replicated, or does it only matter that the zone is on the 5100?

External Moderator

ian,

wat you means whit

--->>> Does the zone information get replicated, ..... ?

--->>> Our disk storage will be connected to the 5100 also. If I create the zoning config on the 5100, does this information replicate down to the chassis Brocades?

Would be all the HP Blase server in the same Zone or different Zone ?

Whit other word do you want to create only One Zoning or more ?

--->>> If not, what do I need to do to make sure that my blades are zoned correctly?

After ISL Trunk was successfully created, both HP Server are visible by the 5100. You need to add both in the Zoning.

Same with the Array / Storage.

Zoning Create is very simple.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

The some of the blades would be in the same zone, some would be in different zones. So we would be creating more than one zone.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.