Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Traffic routing over isl connections

Hi

We have 2 datarooms and on the Brocade switches that connects the datarooms, there are 2 isl links. (in each fabric)

Switches are running code 7.3.1a and we use exhange-Based Routing.  No trunking.  There is lots of fc traffic going on between the sites.

Is there a kind of round-robin algorithm deciding how the traffic is split between the isl links?

TW

Contributor

Re: Traffic routing over isl connections

I would like to piggy back on this conversation and take it a step further.

Talking Gen5 ...

Scenario:

An edge switch has two ISL connections to the core switch (8510), and each ISL is on a different blade / ASIC.  There is also a target port on each ASIC on the 8510.

In Fabric SPF, does the edge switch know which ISL to route traffic based on the location of the target port or will the traffic use the first available ISL even though the traffic may have to cross ASICs on the 8510?

Valued Contributor

> Is there a kind of round-robin algorithm deciding how the traffic is split between the isl links?

Yes: http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_730_ADMIN_04/GUID-3335EDAE-F9E2-4DD2-934C-E7316F656017.html
Valued Contributor

> In Fabric SPF, does the edge switch know which ISL to route traffic based on the location of the target port?

No. 8510 looks like a single domain from the edge switch. Any port in that domain is "equally" accessible using any ISL going in that direction.
Contributor

I guess traffic isolation is the only way to control traffic in that aspect... I'm probably trying to be too strict.  Just worried about oversubscription on 16gb blades.

thanks

New Contributor

Hi

Would extended fabric licenses or trunking be the best way of utlizing the bandwith of the isl links?

-ted

Valued Contributor

Hi Ted

Extended fabric license is about distance. How far are your sites from each other?

Trunking is OK if you have more than four independent links between the sites. So let's say if I'd have eight links, I'd create two dual-link trunks in each of two fabrics.

Four links is like a minimum IMHO, in this case you have two independent single links in each of two fabrics -- so there's no trunking in this minimal case...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook