Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Tools for managing SAN switchs

Hi all,

We have around 10 Brocade switchs to manage and I search some tools to help us. For example, I find the following Perl script "brocade_zoning.pl", but this script use another script gss_start that I can't find and the Perl library "BrcdAPI.pm". Where could I find these elements ?

Our goal is just to connect the switch and to collect alias and zoning configuration.

Thank's for your help.

Valued Contributor

Re: Tools for managing SAN switchs

The scripts you described uses an API toolkit which isn't available anymore, instead you could use the SMI-S agent.

To collect only (and use as backup) you could use save simply your san >> does an configupload on the called switch, CLI

To collect only and have a nice Visio diagram you can use SANHeatlh >> run against your switches and send file to brocade, after some time (max 48 hours or so) you can download the diogram and excel sheets from mybrocade, GUI

To collect information and do zoning aswell you could use DCFM (Professional is free for 1 fabric up to 1000 ports) >> A single pane of glass to manage your environment, GUI. Up en download configs, firmware, do zoning graphical presentation of your setup etc..

Super Contributor

Try SAN health you will get a nice Excel Sheet and Visio topology.

If you plan to use the ALIAS and Zoning information for later checks or changes start to write your own scripts. Use Perl or shell scripts to collect the data you are intrested.

DCFM is limited if you plan to automate zoning checks or other tasks.

I hope this helps.

Andreas

New Contributor

Thank's for your reply.

My project was rather to modify or create a Perl script to collect the Alias on the switchs, then to add them in a MySql DB already used to collect informations about our storage box.

So I will try DCFM tool to help us in zoning tasks, but SMI-S agent seems me too much complicated just to collect Alias informations.

Bernard.

Super Contributor

You can query the DCFM DB for the zoning object via ODBC and dump it into your own DB.

Regards,

Andreas

Valued Contributor

As an alternative you could use the output from "save simply your san"  http://code.google.com/p/save-simply-your-san/

N/A

Hi

The simplest way I found is to pass successive commands as echo in a pipe :

With ssh, you'll us interactive login by entering the password on demand

bash-3.00# { sleep 2; echo "zoneshow"; sleep 2;}|ssh admin@10.0.0.130

With telnet, username and password are clear in the { }

bash-3.00# { sleep 2; echo admin; sleep 2; echo "password";sleep 2; echo "zoneshow";sleep 1;}|telnet 10.0.0.130

In both case, don't forget a sleep as the last command in { } to be sure you'll get the last display before being logged out.

Depending on the time the previous command takes, you may increase the last sleep to several seconds.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook