Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

To VF or not to VF

I'm beginning to plan migration of a McData fabric to FOS using two DCX backbones (EX-ports, etc.).

The current SAN is core-edge with a single i10k partitioned three ways: two FC fabric partitions, and one FICON partition.  At this time I'm planning on using the two new DCX backbones without VF, placing the FICON devices in their own zones.

Is there a doc out there for the do's/don'ts, pros/cons of VF and when is the best time to use it?

Regular Contributor

Re: To VF or not to VF

Hi cooneyk,

Brocade PR200 Product Readiness training covers Virtual Fabrics concepts in great details. Fabric OS Administrator's Guide would also be helpful (Chapter 10, Managing Virtual Fabrics).

Current best practice is to at least enable VF so that further configuration is less disruptive.

FICON sounds like a good candidate for a separate Virtual Fabric because FICON requires very specific fabric parameters not necessarily suitable for the rest of your infrastructure. But be sure to familiarize yourself with the latest Fabric OS Release Notes document as there are some restrictions for FICON implementation with Virtual Fabrics.

Please refer to FICON Administrator's Guide (53-1001771-01) for additional details.

Hope this helps,

Linar

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook