Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Switching from Interoperability mode 1 to 3

Hello

I have two Brocade 4Gb SAN Switches currently running FOS 5.3. I have two upstream MCDATA DS 4700 switches, which are set to mode 3 (Open Fabric). Currently the Interop mode on the Brocades are set to 1 to communicate with the MCDATAs. I need to upgrade the firmware on these Brocade switches to 6.2.2., and since Interop mode 1 is no longer supported on 6.x, I need to know what I can expect once I make the switch from mode 1 to mode 3.

Thanks.

External Moderator

Re: Switching from Interoperability mode 1 to 3

Your wrote:

--->>> I have two Brocade 4Gb SAN Switches currently running FOS 5.3.

that OK.

but that is really confused.

--->>> I have two upstream MCDATA DS 4700 switches, which are set to mode 3 (Open Fabric).

Since your are by FOS 5.3, which Switch is connect as IM3 to McDATA ?

what is the EOSc Release Loaded in 4700 ?

TechHelp24
Contributor

When you upgrade to FOS 6.X you will need to set the McData units to McData Fabric Mode and then set the Brocade units to InterOp mode 3. Hope this helps.

Occasional Contributor

So I will have to change the mode on the McData's from Open Fabric to McData Fabric on each of the MCDATAs, correct? Meaning that I would be switching the Brocades to interop mode 2, instead of 3...

Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure where to look to find that information in the managment console, but the
Firmware Level is 09.09.08 10, and the EC Level is 1061019.

Is this helpful?

Contributor

Correct. A couple of years back we had a Mcdata 6140 Core Edge Fabric. We purchased Brocade DCX units. To connect the DCX units with FOS code 6.X we had to change the McData 6140 units from Open Fabric to McData Fabric Mode and set the DCX units to InterOp Mode 3.

Please note that when you place the Brocade switch into InterOp Mode 3 that this causes the units to function in McData EOS mode. Should you ever decide to disconnect and want the Brocade to act in native mode (InterOp Mode 0) all zoning will be lost. So if you ever decide you want to use the Brocade in native mode please export all zoning so that you can re-create the zones.

As we were migrating away from the McData units we disconnected the DCX units placing them back in InterOp Mode 0 and used 7500 SAN Routers with LSAN_ zones to migrate all servers and storage to the new DCX units.

Please review the FOS 6.2.0 Admin Guide PDF pages 301- 325

Contributor

E-mail me at bjondley@dstsystems.com and I'll give you my number and I'll see if I can help you with that one.

Contributor

One other thing to be aware of is when you change from Open Fabric to McData Fabric modes the McData switches will reboot so you may want to wait until a good maintenance window to make that change.

Occasional Contributor

I get an undeliverable when I try to email. Please email me at richard.campbell@medical-action.com

Contributor

Hi all,

sorry, I´m slightly confused by this discussion. So, to point that out:

Interop 2 is the McDATA Fabric Mode

Interop 3 is the Open McDATA Mode.

If your 4700 are running in Open Mode (what was the default for the 4700), then you just have to set your Brocade switch in Interopmode 3. Don´t make any changes on the McData!!!. A McDATA in McData Fabric Mode and the Brocade in Interop 3 will cause segmentation.

If I remember right, you will be asked during the Firmware upgrade 5.3 -> 6.0 to set the new interopmode, if the switches are running interopmode 1 before.

Regards,

Jens

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook