Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Switch status changed from HEALTHY to DOWN

Hi,

I could see one the port in Brocade DCX which was offline already with " No_light " condition has been changed its state to "N0_Sync" all of a sudden, with the port speed parameter changed to " negotiating "  from N8gbps which it was already.

Due to this, the switch status is changing from Healthy to down, which causing the switch to keep logging with numerous alerts as " Switch status changed from HEALTHY to DOWN."

I also could see the sfpshow output of this port with TX value as -40.0,

Please some one help me out on this. Thanks in advance.

Broadcom Moderator

Re: Switch status changed from HEALTHY to DOWN

Hello,

The SFP is failed probably.

Does somebody has tried to plug a device on it for activate this change?

The switchstatuspolicy is reporting down because of the configuration should be to indicate down when 1 SFP is failed.

You can check that with command:

switchstatusplolicyshow

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Contributor

I hope my client is doing some activity but not sure whether they have touched this port, if they are plugging in something to this will it cause this alert?

also please see the switchstatuspolicy here:

The current overall switch status policy parameters:
                   Down    Marginal
 ----------------------------------
     PowerSupplies    3           0
      Temperatures    2           1
              Fans    2           1
               WWN    0           1
                CP    0           1
             Blade    0           1
         CoreBlade    0           1
             Flash    0           1
     MarginalPorts  0.56%[2]         0.28%[1]
       FaultyPorts  0.28%[1]         0.00%[0]
       MissingSFPs  0.00%[0]         0.00%[0]
        ErrorPorts  0.00%[0]         0.00%[0]
Number of ports: 352

Broadcom Moderator

[ Edited ]

Yes possibly. You have to check the errdump:

errdump --all

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Broadcom Moderator

Hello Kalaivani,

additionally I recommend to change the triggers for down status of a switch to "0" for all four SFPs and ports sections:

MarginalPorts
FaultyPorts
MissingSFPs
ErrorPorts

You can do this by executing a "switchstatuspolicyset" and enter value "0" for "down" trigger for all four sections mentioned above... it's better to set the values for "marginal" status. This will prevent a misinterpretation of message "Switch down" which will be pushed via syslog and/or SNMP in case of some faulty ports or SFPs.

AG

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook