Fibre Channel (SAN)

Brocadian
Accepted Solution

Switch Vs Director

Hi I am very new to SAN technology. Can anybody help me to understand the differences between the switch and director?

Brocade Moderator

Re: Switch Vs Director

A Fibre Channel switch is often called a 'pizza box' switch. It's a single chassis, rack-mountable, usually 1-3U high unit. Also called a 'departmental' switch. It will have as few as 16 ports, and as many as 80 ports on the front and one or more power supply fan units on the back.

A Fibre Channel director is a large backplane chassis with slots on the front which take various FC, FCIP, FCOE, encryption, Core or CP blades. Each user blade will have from 16 to 64 ports on the front, and they slide into the director chassis. Fans make up the rear, and they are user replaceable. Brocade often calls them 'Backbone' rather than more traditional 'director'.

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Valued Contributor

Directors are more expensive but they are more reliable as well. The SAN is more scalable with directors.
Brocade Moderator

Directors are high availability and high scalability devices.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.