Fibre Channel (SAN)

dj1
Contributor

Switch Migration

Hi All,

I am replacing some Brocade 64 port switches with 24 port switches ( and moving the 64 ports to another site). I was planning to connect the new switches to the current Fabric and when the merge completed  remove the old switches and recable the devices. Other than configuring unique domain ID's is there anything else I should be aware off or gotcha's which I should watch out for?

Any info would be much appreciated.

D

External Moderator

Re: Switch Migration

--->>>...some Brocade 64 port switches...

I assuming the Old Switches are Brocade 4900, and the NEW Brocade 300, correct ?

you shold make sure all Fabric Parameter are correct set.

--->>> I was planning to connect the new switches to the current Fabric and when the merge completed  remove the old switches and recable the devices.

that exactely correct way, but before you remove any switch from the Fabric, make sure the Merge was successfully and the benig firts to Unplug from 4900 and plug to 300 ( ? )

--->>> ( and moving the 64 ports to another site).

Is this "another site" in the same Fabric or different Fabric ?

TechHelp24
dj1
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The old switches are HP StorageWorks 4/64 and the new ones are HP StorageWorks 8/24. The old switches will be added back into the Fabric in a different site.

If there are licences applied on the old switches can these also be migrated to the new switch?

What is "benig firts" (that exactely correct way, but before you remove any switch from the Fabric, make sure the Merge was successfully and the benig firts to Unplug from 4900 and plug to 300 ( ? ))

Thanks again

External Moderator

Typo, sorry.

"benig" = begin

HP StorageWorks 8/24.= Brocade 300

HP StorageWorks 4/64 = Brocade 4900

--->>> If there are licences applied on the old switches can these also be migrated to the new switch?

NO, Generally License cannot be Migrated from One Switch to another, excepted by any Warranty replacement, and only with the same Switch Type and Modell.

NOTE. in order to ISL 8/24 Switches to fabric, you have to make sure that a Fabric Lincese is Installed.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark and "Rate" as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

TechHelp24
dj1
Contributor

Hi,

Just to clarity, the Fabric licence is supplied with the switch or is it optional?

Thanks again.

External Moderator

Login trough Telnet and execute the command "licenseshow"

--->>>the Fabric licence is supplied with the switch or is it optional?

YES and NO.

Value Line Switch, don't have a Fabric License Built-In, in such case this is Optional.

TechHelp24
dj1
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the info, its been very helpful.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook