Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Switch Migration - Looking for confirmation (HPUX and AIX)

I'm looking for confirmation on something I'm planning to do for my Brocade customer.

They have an existing 24K director. They want to migrate to a new DCX environment.

They have a mix of AIX and HPUX in their environment.

They would rather not deal with the pathing changes in those OS environments as they have over 100 servers, and have limited manpower to deal with it.

I've managed to install the blades into DCX slots, such that the PID (and thus the Domain ID) will match the existing 24k.

As far as I can tell, this will enable me to be able to plug the storage ports into switch ports with matching PIDs, and as such the Hardware path should not change.

As far as the OS's are concerned, it would appear to be a path failure and recovery.

Can anyone confirm that they've tried this? I've seen lots of documentation that warns against the Domain ID and/or PID changes for HPUX and AIX... so my assumption is that if they remain the same, that I should be able to move forward with minimal issues.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Valued Contributor

Re: Switch Migration - Looking for confirmation (HPUX and AIX)

IF the DID & PID don't change, there SHOULD be minimal interruption to your host.

Preferably you would want to test this first in a lab setup first.

Frequent Contributor

It will also depend on the failover capabilities of the servers and the disk array. Weather it is Active/Active or Passive. You can do a LUN trespass to check if the paths trespass correctly.

Are you using (Domain,Index) zone members? Otherwise why a domain id change would affect the communication?

Valued Contributor

Otherwise why a domain id change would affect the communication 

Because HPUX atleast (i don't know AIX) uses the FCID as part of the hardwarepath.

The FCID contains among other things the DID and PID (of the target).

Should one or both change the original h/w path will show NO_HW.

After an ioscan (or reboot) a new h/w path will apear reflecting the new FCID.

By then you'll be able to reconfigure your multipath solution and/or LVM accordingly.

Frequent Contributor

In that case I wouldn't say that this type of migration will be completely "smooth". Rather I would be prepared for doing some ioscan, cfgmgr, rmdev, etc.

You may even have to connect the HBAs on the new switch to the same port number as they were in the old switch.

Even if you do everything like that you may have to do some reconfiguration anyway.

Good luck and let us know if everything worked out with your migration.

Regards,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook