Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Swich DCX4S is command slotpoweroff –d626 3 disruptive, causes any interruption in connectivity

Core blade 3/6 controls port blades in slot 1 or 8 ? If I reboot any of the core blades, there will be a loss of connection of the hosts in the ports ?

Thanks and regards

Jose

Valued Contributor

Re: Swich DCX4S is command slotpoweroff –d626 3 disruptive, causes any interruption in connectivity

Core blades do not directly control the Port blades' external ports. Core blades are responsible for internal communication between the ASICs located on the Port blades. Core blades are redundant, we normally have two Core blades in a director chassis. Removal/disabling one of the Core blades has two effects, and both of them could be considered as disruptive, depending on what you understand as disruptive:

1) With one Core blade disabled/removed, the chassis has the half of the internal bandwidth/throughput. Do not perform your maintenance when the director is heavily loaded with traffic.

2) At the very moment when you disable/remove the Core blade, a number of frames (currently in transit through that Core blade) will be lost. This will be most likely seen as something like a "SCSI timeout" by the affected hosts. In this case, the hosts will retry the failed operation and continue the I/O. That is somewhat similar to the situation when one of the links in the MPIO environment fails.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Swich DCX4S is command slotpoweroff –d626 3 disruptive, causes any interruption in connectivity

Hi Alexey thanks for reply.

That was the answer I was looking for. Perfect explanation.

Thanks a lot and best regards

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.