Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Suggested Firmware for two Brocade 300 switches

We have two Brocade switches connected to a Compellent SAN and Dell PowerEdge servers (Windows and VMware). We have been having issues with noe switch and should upgrade them anyways as part of a lifecycle. We are currently running 7.0.0b. I looked at the target path upgrade document and it says 7.0.0d for FICON and 7.0.2c for open standards, not sure what open standards is. I also have 7.1.0a as a possible candidate for installation.

I wanted to get some feedback and see what people thought based upon our environment.

Super Contributor

Re: Suggested Firmware for two Brocade 300 switches

itbiz... by "open standards" are you sure it doesn't state "Open Systems"?  Open Systems refers to a non-FICON environment (standard FC).

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
New Contributor

er ya sorry open system, not standard.

Super Contributor

From a Brocade perspective, I'd always recommend to follow the target path as its the past of least resistance (fewest reported issues).  But nothing is better then hearing first our community users first hand. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
External Moderator

->I also have 7.1.0a as a possible candidate for installation.

are you obligated to use this specific Release 7.1.0a ? we are currently at 7.2.0a which offer more features, additional 7.2 closed diverse Defect.

I know Dell is not the fastest OEM with Test and approve new FOS , and is probable accord DELL Matrix 7.2 is already not Qualified with Compellent System.

I would suggest before you begin with the upgrade, to open a call with DELL and asking if other FOS release are Qualified and in-range with Compatibility Matrix.

The main problem is, we assume you upgrade the switch to any FOS Release - i.e. 7.2.x and such a Release is not in vendor Matrix, in a case you have a problem with the Storage, some vendor refuse to support them with the Argument "Release is not Support"

As per my experience, and is not my Intention to point anyone here to do that, I personally ignore ALL vendor Storage/ HBA Matrix and this have many reason.

I noted in all the years +/- 15 I'm working with Brocade Platform, as per example when Brocade publicized as GA= General Available FOS Release, the customer find this Release first couple of week sometime a month later in OEM / Vendor matrix, in the meantime Brocade was obligated to publicized other NEW release due closed Defective.

And this is a main problem all Storage Vendor

Such Matrix are maybe a basically indication for the User / Customer, but really uselessly when you want to make sure to have latest BUG Free FOS / Micro-Code Release.

All my Fabrics are working 101% Guaranteed, without consult any such stupid Compatibility Matrix.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook