Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Suddenly...segmented no fabric license

Hi,

We have 2 fabrics with 4 switches each one. Each fabric has 2 core switches (HP Storageworks 8/8, 4Gb, 24 ports) and 3 edge switches (HP B-series 8/12c SAN Switch BladeSystem c-class) made, ofcourse by Brocade.

A couple of weeks ago we added a storage that required to upgrade the switches firmware. That task was done with no complications. Last week several blade servers were added to SAN and zones were created, configurations saved and enabled.

After that, one of the core switches changed the status of its 3 E ports to "(segmented) (no fabric license)". The devices attached to that switch are working fine but the other switches are isolated since the ISL was broken, the other fabric is ok.

As I told you guys both fabrics are alike. Hardware, configuration, licensing, components, etc.

There is a post I read in HP that says the switch must be restarted but I don't want to do anything without being sure nothing else is going to happen and the scenarios was a bit different than ours. I think that perhaps it's just a software problem and at the end just restarting the switch can solve it but I'd like to have a more technical solution or explanation.

Attached a document with screenshots and a couple of messages we saw at the logs history.

I hope anyone can help us on this issue.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Suddenly...segmented no fabric license

It's not normal behaviour that a switch loses is license keys.

As all your gear is from HP and you HP8/8 switch is fairly recent I would suggest you contact HPto fix this under waranty.

If you ever did a configupload or made a backup of the switch in question by other means, you should have the license keys.

Perhaps you even have acces to the license keey through webware.hp.com with the license documents that where in the box?

Occasional Contributor

Hi Dion,

The switch is out of guaranty time so there is no support.

We have access to the switch, in fact it is working pretty well the problem is with the E ports. I think I can generate the licenses from the Brocade page, even though it was sold by HP the switches are 100% brocade. Why are you asking?

Valued Contributor

I asking because whomever sold you those switches is able to help you out, but if you can generate the license from the brocade pages that just fine.

Super Contributor

Hi,

I assume that you can't generate the keys at Brocade website if they are HP branded switches. Dion is right please check the HP website he has given to vailidate the purchased lisences.

Currently it is not clear to me if the keys are in or not on both ends of the ISL!

If your segmented E-ports are E-ports to the Bladecenter switches you can change the operating mode of the Bladecenter switches into AccessGateway mode.

This will bring the BC back into the fabric. These switches will then act as an NPIV device. Your Bladecenter Servers can access the fabric without any issues.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Dion,

So you think the solución would be just generate the licenses again and add them to the switch? The licenses are still reported when using the licenseshow Command the same way the other switch does.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Hi Andreas,

I once generated the licenses for one HP switch using brocade tool. The switches change nothing but the front where you can read HP.

The fabric has 4 switches and everything was working fine. When making zone changes and after enabling  the config is when this happened. 

I'm gonna try doing what you're saying on monday. I'll let you know.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Could be, HP sells them in a package as base switch, or powerpack or powerback+ and perhaps others packages as well.

I would assume that, whatever package you buy (perhaps with add. licenses), HP will supply you with the license entitlement & how to generate the license.

Could you post an licenseshow from every switch in both fabrics?

If you worry about losing (more) config's information off your brolen fabric, consider running a configupload on all switches.

Once that has been done and verified you can reboot whatever switch you like, can you share the link where HP states you should reboot?

About Andreas remark, it could well be that those where in AG mode and now in switch mode.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook