Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Steps to remove DCX's from current SAN fabric?

We have 2 fabrics, Red and Blue and have a cantankerous client, so the plan is remove the DCX's from the current SAN Fabric and create a SAN island for them.  All their servers and arrays have been migrated to these DCX's, so this work has allready been done.  Many times I have ADDED directors and switches to a fabirc, but this is the first time for removing.

Understand, initially once the ISL's are removed, there will be a SAN segmentation fault and errors, and the Zone DB (zoning, alias's) will need to be cleaned up.  However, what are the correct steps in successfully removing these DCX's from the current fabric in an un-intrusive manner?

Any help or docs on this is sincerely appreciated,

BlueAura

External Moderator

Re: Steps to remove DCX's from current SAN fabric?

--->>>....so the plan is remove the DCX's from the current SAN Fabric,

--->>>...and create a SAN island for them.

with a second one DCX ? or other Switches ?

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

HI,

I am not clear, what do u want to do

I am attaching the SAN migration guide for your help.

2 things come to my mind:

1. I have DCX-1 in a Fabric and DCX-2 in another redundant Fabric. Redundant HBAs and Storag eports are connected to both the Fabrics.I have a Core/Edge topology, where DCX is core, if all the devices are moved to this core DCX, then simply disconnect the other SWs, and the devices on the other SWs will not be able to access the SAN because those will not be available on configfile.You need to do all the zoning and config file separate for them

2. If I want to separate my DCXs from teh Fabric, then I have to do a separate SAN config after disconnecting from SAN. I will do a switchdisable, cfgdisable, cfgclear, configure and switchenable, cfgcreate and do all the zoning again with connectivity.

So pls mention here the output of fabric show of both the fabrics.

Occasional Contributor

Hello, been away for awhile and replying for additional clarity:

So for example, take one fabric in our current environment, BLUE (the other redundant side is RED). I need to segment/remove/disconnect (ISL's) from DCX director for the SAN BLUE fabric in an un-intrusive/least-impact manner.  Then I would repeat on the RED (redundant) fabric.  These newly removed DCX's would then become a SAN island (Blue DCX and Red DCX) for a customer. 

The concern I have at that point would be:

- How is the current/original SAN environment going to behave (segmentation fault errors)?

- Zoning/alias cleanup for original SAN and new SAN island

- Other?

External Moderator

If I understand it correctly, do they want to separate the Fabric. Is correct ?

will be remain only One DCX as active , or both in a separate Fabric ?

just here I'm a bit confused.

The concern I have at that point would be:

- How is the current/original SAN environment going to behave (segmentation fault errors)?

- Zoning/alias cleanup for original SAN and new SAN island

- Other?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm...let me ask the question this way;

Current environment there are 2 SAN directors (48K and DCX) and 1 SAN switch (4100).

CURRENT Devices in SAN

- 48K SAN Director

- DCX SAN Director

- 4100 SAN Switch

The lone DCX SAN director will be removed from this SAN, and given to a customer as a newly created SAN island.

What are the best practice steps to remove this DCX from the current SAN (un-intrusively)?

External Moderator

Ok.

This is simple, and I don't see here any difficult.

You need just to disconnect the ISL from the Fabric between DCX and 48K - 4100, and then remove unneded Alias from the config.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Agreed, this is comes arross as simple and will include zone/alias cleanup of the Confg file....however:

- As soon as the DCX ISL cables are removed the SAN will error as segmented, how do you resolve this?

- Addtionaly, the DCX will complain he is segmented, again, how do you configure the DCX to now know he is separated from the SAN he came from?

- Will the DCX need to be disabled, new config file created/re-named and re-enabled, etc?

I have added many switches into a SAN, but never have removed one, so this is a new twist here.

BTW...thanks for any/all feedback.

External Moderator

--->>> - As soon as the DCX ISL cables are removed.....

--->>> ......the SAN will error as segmented, how do you resolve this?

will segmented the remain Active SAN ? 48K - 4100 ?

have you checked One switch in the Fabric is Set as Principal ?

After disconnect the DCX from the Fabric, are all other switch in the Fabric available "fabricshow"

the segmented can be caused because some Alias ( from removed DCX ) are not longer available in the config.

BTW, you can remove unneeed Zone with the command "zoneobjectexpunge" , for details refer the Command reference manual.

with alidelete can you delete unneeded Alias.

if you are unsure, save all the config from current Productive Fabric ( DCX, 48K, 4100 ) before begin to Delete or modified the CFG

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

The best way is migrate all the devices to 48K or 4100 and check the paths and connectivity and disconnect ISLs from DCX . Then do a switchdisable, cfgdisable and cfgclear on DCX and configure again through configure cmd and then switch enable, and after taking to a new fabric, while you do 1st zoning, do a cfgceate .

note: is ur 48K , the core sw? which is ur principal SW. is it a core/edge topology?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.