Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Silkworm director 24000

I've read some literatures on the 24000 director class switch. I mentioned that by the fault the switch is set as a single domain of upto 128 ports but can also be configured as dual domains of upto 64 ports each. However, I have not found any documents that specifically discuss exactly what it means. My only guess is that either it is running as a single logical switch or two logical switch. Would greately appreciate if someone could explain in details exactly what it means and point me to any documents that discuss about it. Thanks again.

Regular Contributor

Re: Silkworm director 24000

You're right about the logical switches. By default the 24K comes as a single 128 port switch. You can revert it back to the 12K style of 2 logical switches if you want to. I can't point you to any documentation though.

Contributor

ok, so you could have 2 logical switches in the same chassis. does that mean each will have it own database, zone configuration, name server etc..? Do they share the backplane and CP card? what do you gain by configure it that way instead of just keep it as a single 128-port switch? Thanks for any clarification on this.

Occasional Contributor

Hi !<!graemlin::)>) You are right about having different instances of Name Server, Zoning, etc, but those 2 instances run both on the same (active) CP card while the other card is idle. I do not have insight on the hardware details but I asume the backplane is common too. I use this feature in my enviroment and works great altough we will probably buy later on another director to improve scalability and availability expectance.

Contributor

sorry for not checking back sooner. anyhow, thank you for explaining in such details. I finally found out some more details about the device (bought one recently) is that there is a common back plane to both CP cards. only one is active at a time, like you mentioned. Thanks again.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook