Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Silkworm 2800 San Configuration??

Good Evening.  Sorry if this is in the wrong location site navigation does not seem to be the friendlyist.

Please forgive me if i am getting the following wrong im just getting in to fibre stuff.

I have 3 servers 2950 with Qlogic HBA Cards and a Dell AX150sc which only has 2 fibre ports on the back.   i have recently purchased a silkworm 2800 (i will just call it 2800 for now) in the form of a dell powervault 56f (i believe these to be rebanded brocade 2800 series is this correct?)

Any way I am trying to configure the 2800 to share the hba access to my 3 servers.  until now i have only had 2 servers plugged directly in to the san but now I wish to expand.  I have plugged the 3 servers in to the 2800 and I can see in the management the 3 servers HBA Addresses and the 2800 WWN F-port Online. servers are in ports 2,3,4 (for arguments sake and to avoid confusion) The ports are green solid so i do not consider these to be the issue.  I plugged the AX150SC SAN in to the 2800 on port 1 and I get an orange light on the port and when I look at the port in the mangement console it says U-port.  I have tried putting the San in to a port that a server was using and I get the same issue on any of the server ports 2,3 or 4.   i have put the server in to what i thought may have been a faulty port 1 and i get a steady green light and the port status is Online F port,  I have changed the Gbics around and they all seem fine.  Where ever the servers are connected then those ports light up green and show online.  The san is the only one that shows up as no sync.   I have not configured the 2800 in anyway as of yet as I am still looking for instructions on how to configure it for use with a san and distributing Luns to servers. Maybe this is the problem?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my san does not authorise properly or do i need to change a setting on the 2800 in order for it to be recognised.  I have hoping that this was going to be a simple lug it in and off i go as i dont really need the management side of things just yet.  the 2800 is running fabric OS 2.5.0d

Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

Regards

James.

Super Contributor

Re: Silkworm 2800 San Configuration??

The Brocade 2800 is a 1 Gbps switch and the Ax-100 has a 2 Gbps FC interface. Also the mode has to be FC-SW (Fibre channel switched) for this to work.

Highlighted
New Contributor

dont suppose you know the telnet command to configure the switch mode to FC-SW Please?   unforutnaly google is not much help

thanks in advance

Super Contributor

About the command, refer the Comamnd Reference Manuals.

FYI, the AX150 is not supported by Fabric OS 2.5.x or 2.6

with other word, this switch is useless.

New Contributor

Thanks for that ABBA,

I take it a Silkworm 3850 will work with the AX150 with out any problems before I go purchase one?

Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

The AX150 is supported and qualified by EMC with the Brocade 3250 = 8 Port Switch, which is identically with 3850 = 16 Port.

You need to check the exact Supported AX Microcode and Fabric OS Release.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.
Thanks!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook