Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Setup ISL between M5424s

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm having some difficulty setting up ISL between two Brocade M5424s. They are connected to the same Admin domain (with differnt IDs) and share the same zone configuration but I don't see how to actually configure the ISL?

There are two fibre cables running between both switches, the ports are configured and showing as E-Ports.

Both switches are licensed for "Fabric" which I'm led to believe includes the ISL licenses.

Other than plug int the cables I'm not sure what else is involved. From what i've read it should "just work"? How do I know when the configuration is successful?

Valued Contributor

Re: Setup ISL between M5424s

HI,

When connecting two switches together, you need to verify that the following parameters are different:

• Domain ID
  • Switch name
  • Chassis name

You must also verify the following fabric parameters are identical on each switch for a fabric to merge:

(these parameters are usually not modified, so a priori, don't bother with them)

• R_A_TOV
  • E_D_TOV
  • Data field size
  • Sequence level switching
  • Disable device probing
  • Suppress class F traffic
  • Per-frame route priority
  • BB credit
  • PID format

Now, you just have to connect a cable between the two E-ports and see if the switchs merge. If the zoning is the same one in both ends, you shouldn't have any issues. but to confirm it, try the following commands:

• islshow - it reports the status of the ISL just created
  • fabricshow - ir shows the number of switchs in the fabric
  • switchshow - it shows info of the ports and what is connected to them. Check the status of the ports used for the ISL.

Rgds,

felipon

New Contributor

Thanks felipon,

Below is the output of the islshow command, does this indicate it is working?

SW01:admin> islshow
  1: 17-> 19 10:00:50:eb:1a:04:cc:5d   1 SW03       sp:  8.000G bw:  8.000G        QOS
  2: 18-> 20 10:00:50:eb:1a:04:cc:5d   1 SW03       sp:  8.000G bw:  8.000G        QOS

The cabling layout is;

SW01 port 17 <-> SW03 port 19

SW01 port 18 <-> SW03 port 20

Valued Contributor

hi,

yes, that output means that the ISL has been successfully stablished.

rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook