Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Scripting 'portstatsshow' from CLI (FoS 7.0.0c)

Hello group,

I am trying to write a script that will go out and check the er_bad_os log from the portstatsshow command on my DCX 8510 SAN switches.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to write a "for" loop to increment the blade and port number in the command "portstatsshow X/Y | grep er_bad_os" and have that out put printed to the screen? (where X=blade and Y=port), from the CLI.

Thanks,

Victor Simon

Regular Contributor

Re: Scripting 'portstatsshow' from CLI (FoS 7.0.0c)

Howdy,

if you connect to the switch from a server (one that for example has ruby installed) you could create a "for" loop in ruby (perhaps somehow based on the output of switchshow?)

Scripting in the CLI of the Brocade might prove difficult, but if you connect from a server/machine you can use an account with read_only priviliges.

I've played a bit with expect/perl as well, personally I liked ruby more because of speed and ease.

Contributor

Hi,

i would second the idea using some script language, python here, and the expect library. I use switchshow to get a list of all ports on the portblades and run a portstats(64)show on them.

Some code pointers, cut from a larger script. This is done for v6.4.x so might need some changes. Instead of putting it into a database table you could use xml, csv or whatever you prefer in your use case and sort/filter before returning it.:

self.child.sendline ('switchshow')
        self.child.expect(self.term)
        self.data=self.child.before.decode("iso-8859-1").decode('unicode-escape')
        self.temp=re.split('\n',self.data)
        for self.i in self.temp:
            if re.search(r"^ *(\d+) +(\d+) +(\d+) +({6}) +({2}) +({2}) +(+) +(\w+) +(*) *(*) *(.*)",self.i):
                self.temp2=re.search(r"^ *(\d+) +(\d+) +(\d+) +({6}) +({2}) +({2}) +(+) +(\w+) +(*) *(*) *(.*)",self.i)
                self.cursor.execute("""REPLACE INTO port(switchdomain, `index`, timestamp, slot, number, address, media, speed, state, proto, type, rwwn, comment, name)
                    VALUES('%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s')
                ;""" % (self.switchdomain, self.temp2.group(1), date.today(), self.temp2.group(2), self.temp2.group(3), self.temp2.group(4), self.temp2.group(5), self.temp2.group(6), self.temp2.group(7), self.temp2.group(8), self.temp2.group(9), self.temp2.group(10).replace(":","").upper(), self.temp2.group(11), ''))
                # Getting details per port
                self.child.sendline("portstats64show %s/%s" % (self.temp2.group(2),self.temp2.group(3)))
                self.portstats64show=self.child.before.decode("iso-8859-1").decode('unicode-escape')
                self.child.sendline("portshow %s/%s" % (self.temp2.group(2), self.temp2.group(3)))
                self.portshow=self.child.before.decode("iso-8859-1").decode('unicode-escape')
                self.child.sendline("portcfgshow %s/%s" % (self.temp2.group(2),self.temp2.group(3)))
                self.portcfgshow=self.child.before.decode("iso-8859-1").decode('unicode-escape')
                self.cursor.execute("""REPLACE INTO port_data(switchdomain, `index`, timestamp, slot, number, portstats64show, portshow, portcfgshow) VALUES('%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s');""" % (self.switchdomain, self.temp2.group(1), date.today(), self.temp2.group(2), self.temp2.group(3), self.portstats64show, self.portshow, self.portcfgshow))
Valued Contributor

If its a script you want, better log in as root because you have more standard unix commands at your disposal.

Create a script, save it and call it thru ssh.

But I prefer using SNMP to get those statistics.

OID .1.3.6.1.3.94.4.5.1.45 from FCMGMT mib or

.1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1.6.2.1.27 from SW mib should give you those figures.

Yoy can get them from a firmware download or @ http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-1733 (pre FOS7)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook