Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SNMPv1 and logical switches

Hi guys,

we use Brocade 6510 switches with three logical switches on every single switch. I would like to monitor the switches with Observium or Stor2rrd. I'm planing to use SNMPv1 to get some information out of the switches. My current problem is: I only get the information regading the base switch ports and the other hardware components like CPU/RAM/... NOT for the ports which are assigned to the other logical switches.

Is there a trick how to get information regarding the other ports? (ports outside of the base switch)

Thanks in advance!

Brocade Moderator

Re: SNMPv1 and logical switches

Hi.

to get data from other logical switches, you must use snmp v3 - the context parameter under snmpv3 is used to selected the logical switch (based on FID) as in  "VF:128" or "VF:64"

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Martin,

thank you for the reply.

I disabled v1 and configrured v3. I configured a snmp read-only user and assigned that user to the home logical switch 10. Now Observium get the information for all ports from ls 10, but not from the base ls (128) or the other one (20).

If I switch the user to base ls 128, than I only can see the switch ports from ls 128.

Is there something else I can configure on the switches? I would like to get ALL ports not only the home ls.

Btw. I also did a test with Store2rrd and I get the same result. I get only the switchports from the assigned ls of the user. :-/

#UPDATE:

I think I understood your second part now :-)

I need to change the query, right? (snmpwalk)

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

the snmp user need to have access (userconfig) to the FID 20, and FID 128. So you need add LF 20 and 128, or easer to all FIDs to the snmp user.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

the user has access to all (1-128) logical switches.

This is how I added the user:

userconfig --add snmp_ro_3 -r user -l 1-128 -h 10 -c user -d "User for Observium"

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

some notes from the BNA 14.0.x manual - try use admin instead of user (you use Read Only, so it less of than issue)

To collect performance data on a Virtual Fabrics-enabled device, use the userconfig --show

command to make sure the Fabric OS user has access to all the Virtual Fabrics. Make sure that

the SNMPv3 user name is the same as the Fabric OS user name. Otherwise, the data is not

collected for virtual switches with a non-default Virtual Fabric ID. By default, the admin user

has access to all Virtual Fabrics.

Example of Fabric OS user verification

sw1:FID128:admin> userconfig --show

Account name: admin

Description: Administrator

Enabled: Yes

Password Last Change Date: Unknown

Password Expiration Date: Not Applicable

Locked: No

Home LF Role: admin

Role-LF List: admin: 1-128

Chassis Role: admin

Home LF: 128

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply!

I already try this. Currently the user is -r admin and -c admin. But I still only see the ports from the home ls

Here is a userconfig --show snmp_ro_3

Account name: snmp_ro_3
Description: User for Observium
Enabled: Yes
Password Last Change Date: Tue Sep 12 2017 (UTC)
Password Expiration Date: Not Applicable (UTC)
Locked: No
Home LF Role: admin
Role-LF List: admin: 1-128
Chassis Role: admin
Home LF: 10

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

I looked briefly looked at Observium but I could not find any support of SNMP v3 context (VF:<FID>) currently, it look like. If it is true, then you will only have statistics from the home FID/VF for the snmp user. I have downloaded (or tried) to take a look context is supported or not.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your support Martin!

I did the following workaround for now:

- Created three snmp_ro user and assigned each user in a different home FID

- Created an Observium host for every logical swtich --> switch_ls_128, switch_ls_10, switch_ls_20

Now I can see all ports, but scattered over three objects. Well, that isn't the best result but finally I can see every port. :-/

Hi,

there is detailed description in STOR2RRD docu how to activate it, just follow it:

http://www.stor2rrd.com/install.htm#SAN

You have to use SNMP v3 with proper security user
Activate SNMP v3 mode in etc/san-list.cfg
Configure security user on the switch (under admin account):

userconfig --add snmpuser1 -r user -l 1,128
userconfig --change snmpuser1 -r user -l 1,128 -h 128 -e no

Parameter -l says which virtual fabrics can be monitored by this user.
Example above allows virtual fabrics 1 and 128 for user snmpuser1.
test access, you should see ports configured for your specific VF (Virtual Fabric).

$ snmpwalk -v 3 -u snmpuser1 -n VF:<your_virtual_fabric_ID> <Switch_IP> 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5
  SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: SAN_switch_name

If you get one of below errors then user is not configured properly:

Error in packet.
Reason: noAccess
snmpwalk: Unknown user name

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook