Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

SNMP V3 Configuration

Hi All,

We have deployed 2 new 6510 switches running 7.4.x. We need to configure SNMP alerting and send them to netcool. I have few basic queries on this.

1) We are aware of the SNMP manager IP. To configure SNMP V3, do we need to create a new user dedicated for SNMP V3? If yes why?

2) What is the use of these community strings and why are there 6 entries and how do they differ?

3) Do I need to manually create new community strings or without community strings can I enable SNMP v3?

4) Do I need to configure MAPS for this SNMP??

Thanks in Advance!!!

Contributor

Re: SNMP V3 Configuration

1. No

2. Flexibility

3. Community Strings are for snmpv1.

4. No.
Contributor

Thanks Nate. Few more queries,

1. While configuring V3, There are 6 users, 3 for RO and 3 for RW. Why Ro and RW and its use??

2. We can give 6 SNMP manager IP's if I understand it right?

Contributor

Hi Nate,

Can you please explain what is use of RO and RW users from the below output? Also, the person who is managing SNMP Manager has to add the SAN switch ip and along with that what other information we need to provide to him from our end?? User and password (snmpadmin1..)??

SNMPv3 USM configuration:
User 1 (rw): snmpadmin1
        Auth Protocol: noAuth
        Priv Protocol: noPriv
User 2 (rw): snmpadmin2
User 3 (rw): snmpadmin3
User 4 (ro): snmpuser1
User 5 (ro): snmpuser2
User 6 (ro): snmpuser3

SNMPv3 Trap configuration:
Trap Entry 1:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 2:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 3:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 4:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 5:     No trap recipient configured yet
Trap Entry 6:     No trap recipient configured yet

Brocade Moderator

Hi DattaSai,

RW communities allow to run set command to change settings via SNMP, RO only allows read-only (get commands). 

For the person running will need the user name used (snmpadmin1 or snmpuser1) plus IP address of the switch.  if you configure the snmpv3 to use Authentication and/or Privacy protocol, you will need to provide the Authentication and Privacy protocol password which you configured on the switch (and which protocol are configured). In your example you have no privacy (password) and no authentication (password). 

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook