Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

SFP-State not defined

Hello,

I've a Brocade 5300 switch with 8 Gb SFPs, the FOS version is v6.2.0d. All worked fine and still does work, every Server has his connection.

But now if I look into the WebTools -- Port Configuration -- Port xx -- SFP I can't see the information for the SFP (only 6 of 32 SFPs show their information). SANhealth says "Cant Read SerialData", and the Port Administration -- SFP -- Advanced Mode Says "Not a Serial ID GBIC". But still everything seems to work fine.

If I re-seat the SFP or disable and enable the port then the information will reappear and everyone is happy.

Is there anything known in regard to this problem? Will it be possibly fixed in FOS 6.4.1?

With best regards

Holger Fitz

Frequent Contributor

Re: SFP-State not defined

Do you see the same issue when entering the `sfpShow` command from CLI?

In general there are some known issues in this area where all or part of SFP Serial ID information is not being read properly and this has been around for a while. E.g. one thing that often doesn't get properly updated are the Rx/Tx Power values, or temperature and voltage (just make a search for "sfp" through FabOS release notes).

But if this happens on a regular base I would suggest consulting with Brocade Support.

Occasional Contributor

Re: SFP-State not defined

Hello Christophe,

yes, we have the same with sfpshow, no information is found. But I think we have another problem with the switch, because as we tried to do a configupload via DCFM the switch went unreachable. He’s still working, telnet and ssh are working, but no GUI management, no ftp etc. I only get  (sometimes) a segmentation error, wut we definitely didn’t change anything in the fabric or in the parameters (the fabric is a partial full mesh with four switches). So the customer decided to reboot the switch tonight, and then we’ll see if everything is normal again.

With best regards

Holger

---> UPDATE<---

The switch is dead! The reboot didn't work, so we think the switch has had already a problem, which now surfaced with the mentioned effects. The switch is under support contract, so the vendor will change the switch.

Thankyou for your help.

With best regards

Holger

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook