Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

SAN switch replacement Procedure Document? (principal)

Hi,

I have two Brocade 4900 SAN switches that are going end of life at the end of the month.  Is there a Brocade procedure document that covers the process for migrating to new switches step by step?

Ideally I would like to add the two new 6520 SAN switches to the fabric and then slowly move the server/storage over the course of a couple of weeks and then promote the new switches to principal.  I need to know if this is possible when moving from a 4900 to a 6520. 

If that's not possible then I need to know what the process is for move everything from the old principal switches to the new switches in one stage.

If there's anyone that can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

External Moderator

Re: SAN switch replacement Procedure Document? (principal)

this is a very simple procedure.

I have few Question:

-are both 4900 as single Fabric Configured or DUAL fabric ?

-what is the assigned Domain ID ?

-what is the current FOS Release loaded in 4900 ?

for now, make sure both NEW 6520 have unique DID, IP Address, and check current FOS.

if yoyu want to create VF, you should wait until FOS 7.2.0c or 7.2.1a is General available, because DEFECT was closed in in Preview 7.2.x FOS release.

in such case I would suggest to work with FOS 7.1.x, otherwise you can safely work with FOS 7.2.x

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.