Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

SAN switch and device zone

Hi,

I connected SAN Switch-2 to SAN Switch-1 by fiber cable (SW-1 Port 24 to SW-2 Port-1).

i can see devices in both switches and can zone. but i can't see LUN in Server.

The Storage is connected to switch-2 and Servers are connected to switch-1.

is there any way to diagnose the problem.

Valued Contributor

Re: SAN switch and device zone

Hi,

Could you please describe more accurately your environment, what kind of host, storage array, switchs...

Check if you see the host HBA logged in the storage array, and viceversa, if the host hba can see the storage array port.

Check the lun masking in the storage array. Also, depending on the storage array, you may need to configure some flags in the port...

Rgds

F

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for reply, following is the diagram for Brocade 8/24 Class B switches. on SW-2 all ports are full so i added another switch and did cascading by connecting SW-2 port-24 to SW-2-2 port-1.

There are 3 more storages (HP-MSA2000 and P2000). connected to SW-1 and SW-2.

After i added one new MSA-2000 to SW2-2. Server3 cann't see the Storage LUN. whereas Serve-1 and Serve-2 can see the Storage without any problem.

diagram-san.png

Valued Contributor

Hi,

So it seems this is a new implementation. Please answer the following questions so that I can figure out what could be going on:

Does server3 HBA see storage port wwn?

Does storage array see the wwn of server3 hba? Does this port on storage array sees any other host?

did the two switchs fully merged?

try fcping to both WWNs on the two switchs to see if you can reach the storage port and server3 hba.

Rgds

Regular Contributor

Don't forget that for the server to see the LUN you need to map the LUN to the server on the MSA.

Occasional Contributor

Hi felipon,

did the two switchs fully merged?

I have just make the link(connection) using FC cable. is there any configuration/document to merge two switches.

i tested fcping by source (server3-wwn) and destination (storage-wwn), i can recive the reply.

thanks

Valued Contributor

Hi,

with the current topology, If you get a reply using fcping, to the host and storage in both switchs, that would mean that both switchs have merged with success. Please, respond the rest of the questions:

Does server3 HBA see storage port wwn?

Does storage array see the wwn of server3 hba? Does this port on storage array sees any other host?

confirm that the zone is active.

check that LUN masking is correctly done.

rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook