Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

SAN migration - Connecting switches via ISL

Hello everyone.

My goal here is to understand the correct procedure for temporarily connecting an older SAN with 2 Brocade 300 switches to a newer SAN with 2 Brocade 6505 switches in order to svmotion the vms on the old SAN to the new SAN. I've read numerous threads here and elsewhere, but none quite answer the question for me. To add a twist to this situation the 300 switches have no open connections so I plan on removing the fibre connector from one of the currently attached devices, thereby reducing it to a single channel (no fault tolerance) at least until the migration is completed.

Here is what I 've gathered so far:

The 300 switches have a Fabric license

The Domain ids are as follows: 300a - 1 300b -1, 6505a - 3  6505b - 2

The zone configuration names on each switch is different.

The zone configuration is simple and straight forward. A zone consists of a host HBA

I'd like know the proper order to make an ISL link between the switches. I can then make the luns/vms visible to the new hosts, and svmotion them over to the new SAN. Once that is completed what is the proper order to break the ISL link.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

P.S. I do not work with the Brocade switches very often so my experience is limited.

-Mark

Contributor

Re: SAN migration - Connecting switches via ISL

Mark,

A single ISL between the 300 and 6505 will be sufficient - though I would keep an eye on the I/O utilization rates during your migration. Essentially when you connect the 300 to the 6505 the two switches will merge to form a fabric. The zoning database for the 300 will become the zoning database for both switches. You will only have to modify the zoning to add your new devices. Also check your FOS version compatibility. You can review the release notes for the 6505 FOS version to give you guidance.

Procedure:

-free up port on 300

-disable port on 300 and 6505

-connect cable, make sure the cable locks in nicely

-enable port on 300 and 6505

-type "switchshow" and you will see E port connection between the two.

-type cfgshow on 6505 and you will see zoning configuration

You should be good to go. When you're done you can disable the ports on either switch and remove the cable.

Occasional Contributor

jdaignea,

Thank you for the reply.

I do have an another question.

The 300 switches are currently being used on the old SAN. The 6505 are on the new SAN. I have already created the zoning on the 6505, basically 1 hba to 1 Clariion. In other words, the new SAN is fully configured. Will this affect the steps outlined above and if so, how do I address them?

Thank you,

-Mark

Occasional Contributor

So it sounds like you are using the original Storage and Hosts?  If the zoning is already done then there is no need to create an ISL.  The ISL will download the zone database from the 300's to the 6505.  With that said you already created the zoning, so I am not sure what you are gaining here.  Why do you want to create an ISL between the switches if it is not to merge teh fabrics?  Also what firmware are all of the switches in question?

Occasional Contributor

gsavage,

I have an existing production SAN with many vmware vms running. I have a new SAN that I want to migrate the vms onto but in order to do so I need the new hosts to see the old Luns/datastores so I can storage vmotion them over to the new SAN.

Occasional Contributor

By new SAN do you mean new Storage Array?

I still don't understand the purpose of the ISL in this case, you don't need an ISL to storage vmotion the LUNs over.

Occasional Contributor

Yes. It's a new storage array, servers, brocades, service processors. There are 2 distinct SANs, and by that I mean everything i just mentioned. They are not connected in any way, they can see each other on the lan only. The ISL will allow the new hosts to see the old raid groups/luns, and I can then storage vmotion them from the old LUNS to the new luns. There are other ways to move them over via the LAN but ISL is the preferred method.
If you have another option, I'm all ears.

Occasional Contributor

I physically removed the fiber cable in use on the 300 and then disabled the port. I then disabled a free port on the 6505. Attached a fiber cable to both and reenabled them. swtichshow did show an E-port on both of them, but soon afterwards the 6505 reported a zone conflict error. Where should I look for the source of the problem?

The FOS 6.3.1a on the 300 and 7.0.2a on the 6505 are compatible.

Thank you again,

-Mark

Contributor

Mark

run switchshow on the 300 and 6505. You could have one or two problems. The first problem is domain ID overlap. When connecting the switches they need to have unique domain ID's. This can only be changed by taking the switch offline (switchdisable) and entering the configure command to change the DID. This obviously is disruptive to I/O.

The second issue is mostly likely zoning conflict. The active zoning configuration needs to be exactly the same on each switch in order for them to merge and form a single network. There is a table in the FOS admin guide to review zone merging scenarios. When you create / activate two equal zone databases and the domain ID's are the same the switches will merge to form a single fabric.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you again for your response.

What if I clear the zone configuration on the 6505, create the ISL, then create the zones for the new devices(server & Clariion san). It seems like that would be easier since the zoning configuration has to be identical or am i missing something?

The domain ids are different, 1 & 3.

Thank you again,

-Mark

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook