Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

SAN controller in Fibre switch automatically configures to loopback port on switch?

I have a SAN disk array with 2 controllers. I have two switches. Each controller is plugged in to switch A and switch B. One controller resolves to a F-Port, 2 Gb/s, online on both switches. My other controller resolved to Loopback->3, N2, Online, for both switch A and Switch B.

I have tried to change the port type to all combinations, with everything it resets itself to loopback. Both switches are updated to the lastest firmware version. (V6.4.3g, from Jan 2015)

What is my problem? Does that controller not have a complete connection to the switch? It has all the same hardware/firmware, identical as the other controller.

I'm not understanding why they show different behavior?

External Moderator

Re: SAN controller in Fibre switch automatically configures to loopback port on switch?

Hi,

what is you exact problem ?

--->>>SAN controller in Fibre switch....... /..........automatically configures to loopback port on switch?

if I've understand correct you question, when you plug the Storage Controller to the Switch, the Port come Up as loopback, ?

wht type of Storage you try to connect ? what is the Microcode/Firmware release this Storage ?

try follow on the port in question both switches:

from command line

- portcfgpersistentdisable

- portcfgdefault

in some circumstance, some storage required fillword must be set to  3 with the command, i.e some EMC Array

- portcfgfillword

now make sure the controller port on Storage Side are configured correct.

finally set the port's to enable with the command

- portcfgpersistentenable

otherwise, can you please explain a bit more clearly ?

post more info about Switch Type/Model

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Re: SAN controller in Fibre switch automatically configures to loopback port on switch?

Hi

also, try changing connections, just to be sure if the issue is on controler or switch.

Try plugging controller ports from controller that is working  and showing ok into ports that do not show as ok on the switch and vice-versa, and then check it out what happens.

I'd say that it might be on the storage side as some controllers requires ports on controllers to be set as F, or Lopp or whatever, so that requires checking also. Especialy since both ports on FC switch that are connected to certain controller shows as loop, not F.

What kind of storage are you talking about?

Regards

S

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook