Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

SAN-boot problem

Hi,

My setup is:

Dell M1000 chassis (12x)

Dell M710HD Blade-servers (3 / chassis + couple chassis with more servers)

With Brocade BR1741m-k (3.2.0.3 FW)

Dell M8428-k switch (2 / chassis)

IBM v7000

There is also other mezzanine cards for ethernet and two other switches but they are not relevant in the SAN discussion.

Our setup is 3 blade servers / chassis and I have had no trouble in the past to install 2 x RHEL 5.6 64bit and 1x Windows 2008 Server

When I later try to install more RHEL 5.6 servers I simply cant get the operating system to see the LUN presented from the disk array.

We have over 60 of these servers and I have tried different slots and chassis.

I have no trouble on Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 on the same server.

I have used these DUD (Driver Update Disk) versions for the operating systems:

Windows 2003 Server

http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/downloads/HBA/Windows/Driver%20Update%20Disks/Windows%202003/brocade_adapter_fcoe_w2k3_x86_dud_v2-3-0-0.zip

Windows 2008 Server

http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/downloads/HBA/Windows/Driver%20Update%20Disks/Windows%202008/brocade_adapter_fcoe_w2k8_x64_dud_v2-3-0-0.zip

RHEL 5.6 I have tried these drivers, but none of them works for me anymore:

http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/downloads/HBA/Linux/Driver%20Update%20Disks/RHEL5/brocade_fc_adapter_rhel55_x86_64_dud_v2-3-0-0.iso

http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/downloads/HBA/Linux/Driver%20Update%20Disks/RHEL5/brocade_fc_adapter_rhel56_x86_64_dud_v3-0-0-0.iso

I have also tried v2.3.0.3

v2.3.0.5 was the version I succesfully installed the operating system before, but not anymore

As you can see for Windows operating system Brocade offers FCoE drivers, but for Linux only FC drivers.

I have also tried using the FC drivers for Windows and with them I dont see the LUN.

Could this be the problem?

Can you think of anything that would be different concerning Windows / Linux why does other see the LUN and one does not beside the drivers?

I cant think of anything that could be wrong in the SAN configuration because other operating system sees the LUN.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thank you!

Contributor

Re: SAN-boot problem

Do you have a contact number? Please email me @ hvu@brocade.com. It would be easier to do the troubleshooting over the phone.

Thanks.

Contributor

Also, you mentioned that:

"As you can see for Windows operating system Brocade offers FCoE drivers, but for Linux only FC drivers.

I have also tried using the FC drivers for Windows and with them I dont see the LUN.

Could this be the problem?"

Did you still connect the Dell mezz card in FCoE and re-install with FC driver? If so, the FC driver won't work in FCoE.

Please clarify if this was the case.

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

I would rather troubleshoot via email or forum because I am not so fluent in English.

I am better writing than talking, if that is okay to you?

Yes I am aware that FC drivers should not work with FCoE card, but this leaves a question why there is no FCoE DUD available for Linux?

And another question why was I able to install 8 servers with RH 5.6 before with the FC-drivers for RH 5.6.

Those servers was installed in the same time I configured SAN and these new servers are installed afterwards.

I have checked that the Brocade BIOS is the same on all servers and it is 2.3.0.3

This is basically what I have done when I try to install these new servers:

Create zoning with two WWN:s to Disk array + one FCoE WWN (per switch)

Configured the intengigabitethernet port to fcoeport

I have enabled and configured the fcoelogingroup before and it is allow all with default settings

Enabled both brocade adapters on the server and enabled two bootable luns

started RH installation with    linux dd mpath  command

Now with this setup Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 sees the LUN with the FCoE DUD but RH does not with FC DUD

Contributor

Please try the latest driver 3.0.0.0 releases that are available from Brocade adapter drivers download page:

http://www.brocade.com/services-support/drivers-downloads/CNA/Linux.page

v3.0.0.0
v3.0.0.0

Please let me know how thing goes.

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

No help with those drivers

When it tries to read files from the driver update disk it does not show any new drivers so it seems it cant identify any devices which are in need of drivers.

With FC drivers it does add BFA etc. drivers.

Any more ideas?

Contributor

Let me check with engineering on those RHEL drivers and just to make sure if the current v3.0.0.0 DUD drivers support FCoE in RedHat5.6.

Please stay tune...

Occasional Contributor

A little update to this matter:

I downloaded RH 5.5 and the Dell OEM specific DUD drivers for RH 5.5 and I immediately saw the lun.

The driver version was 2.3.0.0

I also tried the version 3.0.0.0 without the Dell OEM support and with those drivers I was also able to see the lun.

So the problem is that RH 5.6 DUD drivers does not work for this BR1741m-k adapter.

Do you have any chance to ask if the driver set might be updated any time soon?

This is the version I need of RHEL (set by our software suplier)

Occasional Contributor

Okay, case closed.

The problem was a corrupted image which I tried to download several times through our sucky internet connection.

I downloaded one from home last night and things got working immediately today.

The first installations was made from DVD and I later had to download the image and do the new installations with it so that has to be somehow corrupted which is a bit surprise that the image still boots fine etc.

Thank you for your help!

Jarkko

Contributor

Jarkko,

I'm glad you have resolved this issue! It's very surprised that the DVD image still boots!

Hoai

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook