Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAN Switch firmware Upgrade (FOS version 6.4.3c to 7.3.1b )

Hi

I want to Upgrade my SAN switch FOS version 6.4.3c to 7.3.1b.

Please give instructions to how to upgrade 

Model:

IBM System Storage SAN24-B Express Switch 

8 ports Active, expandable tp 24 ports 
Part Number : 249824E

Thanks

Contributor

Re: SAN Switch firmware Upgrade (FOS version 6.4.3c to 7.3.1b )

The short version is that you are going to have to go one version at a time.  The good news is that if you do this, your attached hosts and storage may never notice a thing.

I would choose the highest patch level from each intermediate version that your vendor (IBM) provides/certifies and download that for versions 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3.1.b. 

Then you will download and activate each version to your switch(es) in succession hopping from 6.4 to 7.0, then from 7.0 to 7.1, then from 7.1 to 7.2, and finally from 7.2 to 7.3.

Depending on...everything...each hop should take something like 20 minutes (as opposed to one minute or 2 hours...).

If you have multiple fabrics I would suggest taking one at a time through the full process, and then confirming that all is well with the completely updated fabric before moving on to the second/successive one(s).

If you have multiple switches per fabric I would probably bring them all up to each level, then repeat for the next level.

Brocade Network Advisor makes the process very easy to execute, and if you don't have it (or something equivilant), I'd suggest that you download it for a trial.  It is not too difficult to set up, and I believe the trial product is fully functional.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't purchase it, just that you may be able to do this process under the trial license so that you get a feel for its value.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply

6.4.3c to  7.0.x

7.0.x   to  7.1.x 

7.1.x   to  7.2,then 

7.2.x   to  7.3.1.b

in these steps can u help me out which version am i want to use (x)?
(for an examble in 7.0.x there are many version like 7.0.0_pha1 , 7.0.0_pha2, 7.0.0_pha3..,7.0.0a,7.0.0b,.....,7.0.2e)

Thanks

Contributor

I think that the easy answer is to use the highest levels available from whatever portal you download from.

This publication from Brocade looks like a good guide:

https://www.brocade.com/content/dam/common/documents/content-types/target-path-selection-guide/brocade-fos-target-path.pdf

I list the following as the current (as of Sept. '15) targets for those releases

v7.0.2e

v7.1.1c

v7.2.1f

If you are downloading directly from an OEM, they may have different (lower) versions as the highest that they have certified, and in that case, substitute whatever their best available is.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks a lot :)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook