Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Router Firmware upgrade

I am planning to upgrade Brocade 7500 from FOS version 5.3.0 to 6.0.0B. We have HUR implemented across two 7500 using FCIP tunneling. I have 3 questions.

1. The firmwaredownload command issues a hareboot which disrupt the traffic. Any idea how long it takes ?? Do I need to suspend the HUR before I proceed with this procedure.

2. Is any one of you aware any known issues with this piece of firmware ( 6.0.0B)

3. From Brocade command line is there any way to get the switch model number. In switchshow it does say model number ( For example 46.2 means 7500 revision 2) but how can some one map this number with Brocade marketted model number. So my question is is there any known way to find Brocade model number from Command line ??

External Moderator

Re: Router Firmware upgrade

Firmwaredownload "upgrade" are non-disruptive and a reboot is not requiered. Only a Downgrade example from 6.1 to 6.0 requiered a forced reboot and this is disruptive.

I would don't upgrade to this specific 6.0.0b, if you have access to other release use the 6.0.0c or 6.0.1.

--->>> but how can some one map this number with Brocade marketted model number.....

i don't think that the any revision number change the Model number.

with the command "chassisshow" can you obtain the Factory Part Number.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

1. I can see firmwaredownload command does a hareboot internally. The 7500 router doesn't have a failover CP card ( as in case of drectors) so I assumed it would be disruptive. In the webtool guide as well this says disruptive but I am not sure for how long or is this recommended to switch off tunnel replication during this period.

2. My 2nd question was from switch command line is there any way to find the switch Model number. In the brocade 7500 Router the switchshow is showing 46.2. But how can I know this 46 is actually a 7500 model ??

switchName:     S1CM11_SANRT1
switchType:     46.2
switchState:    Online
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Principal
switchDomain:   1
switchId:       fffc01
switchWwn:      10:00:00:05:1e:40:b4:59
zoning:         ON (HUR_1)
switchBeacon:   OFF
FC Router:      OFF
FC Router BB Fabric ID: 1

External Moderator

--->>> 1. I can see firmwaredownload command does a hareboot internally. ....

the switch have TWO partition Primary and Secondary, the firmwaredownload command upgrade first the Secondary/Standby partition, after a first upgrade stepn is completed, the partition reboot with a new FOS release as non-disruptive, after the partition is completed rebooted, the switch operate without any lost of connection with the new FOS, at this point iwill begin the firmwaredownload command to continue to install the FOS in the  second partition.

--->>> 2. My 2nd question was .....

here as example, the output from "chassisshow"

CHASSIS/WWN  Unit: 1
Header Version:       2
Factory Part Num:      40-0000155-18
Factory Serial Num:    xxxxxxxxxx
Manufacture:           Day:  3  Month: 11  Year: 2005
Update:                Day:  1  Month:  5  Year: 2009
Time Alive:            916 days
Time Awake:            61 days
ID:           BRD0000CA
Part Num:     SLKWRM0000410

i don't know another command to show a Model Number

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for the update. Does any one know how to find switch model from command line.

Super Contributor

the previous post had the answers

Part Num:     SLKWRM0000410

The chassisshow o/p shows the model number - in the above example it is 4100

My friend Rene Burema - wanted me to add this info to this post - since it was already answered i thgt of editing my reply.

FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS

When downloading firmware to a device doing FCIP routing, the FCIP links may be interrupted. The Fabric OS will indicate if this going to be the case.

This disruption does take about 30 seconds, so best thing is to suspend HUR and then do the upgrade.

New Contributor

Hi,

Although the firmware activity has finished long back but I thought it might be useful to share the experience. In case of 7500 Router firmware upgrade the FCIP tunnel link does get reset but none of the HUR Journals got suspended or failed.

But eventually I had to revert back one of the firmware revision due to some issues with Journal usage where the HUR Journals was stopped during the firmware downgrade process.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.