Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
TAO
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Restore logical switch

Hi,

I'm going to delete one of a few logical switches configured on a SAN switch. In perparation I was going to run the following:

• configupload –all
  • configupload –vf
  • configupload –fid 60

If I need to restore the logical switch after I have deleted it for some reason would the following suffice:

>configdownload -fid 60

Thanks

TAO
Contributor

Re: Restore logical switch

....I should have read on:

The configuration download process can restore only logical switches that already exist and that use the same FIDs. It cannot be used to clone or repair the current switch because the configDownload command cannot create logical switches if they do not exist.

If that is the case then, what is the process for restoring a logical switch after it has been deleted?

Thanks

Brocade Moderator

Hi,
You will find the right sequences for upload and download in this documentation,
See chapters :
 - Uploading a configuration file
 - Restoring a logical switch configuration

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/fos-741-adminguide/GUID-8C35841E-225F-4566-B051-3C77E2B7B19E.html

Regards

Jerome

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided
solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique.
If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through
Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please
mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

TAO
Contributor

Hi Jerome,

I may be missing it, but I'm not seeing intructions on how to recover a logical switch after it has been deleted. The instructions seem to relate to recovering a logical switch which still exists.

Thanks

TAO
Contributor

Any ideas on the process for restoring a logical switch after it has been deleted?

Thanks

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

After deleting a logical switch, if you want to restore it again, you must create it (there is no restoration process for the creation itself).

There is only one command to do, the description is on command reference guide attached page 561-567.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

Hello ,
to be sure that I  understand your question:

If you delete your configuration before do a configDownload -vf you can't restore it , you must do a configuration again.
If you have done first a backup with configupload -vf when configuration is not deleted  , you can restore your virtual switch with the configdownload -vf command .

1 - Enter the configDownload -vf    restore the Virtual Fabrics 

2 - Enter the configDownload         restore your switch 

Take a look on 'Maintaining the Switch Configuration File'

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/fos-740-admin/GUID-016C93F2-325A-4307-BECD-25AA76DBCE95.html

Regards

Jerome

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided
solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique.
If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through
Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please
mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

TAO
Contributor

Thanks for your responses  and .

To clarify, I have a single physical switch and multiple logical switches. If I take the following backups first, for example:

• configupload –all
  • configupload –vf
  • configupload –fid 60          [60 being the logical switch that I am deleting]

And then delete logical switch 60. Is it possible to restore logical switch 60 from the backups?

Thierry I think you are suggesting that I need to run lscfg --create 60 before I can restore the logical switch?

How can I restore logical switch 60 ONLY please?

Brocade Moderator

After the delete of FID 60, if you want to bring it up with original configuration again you have to run:

lscfg --create 60

configdownload -fid 60

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
TAO
Contributor

Thanks very much Thierry

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook